Chicken and rice is soooo nice! Especially when it’s done in ONE PAN and takes only about 30 minutes to throw together!
The chicken is seared perfectly with little or no splatter, (I’m gonna tell you how to do that). The mushrooms add a super big kick to the rice, and I added just a touch of cream to make it all come together.
HOW TO SEAR A CHICKEN BREAST PERFECTLY :
Heat your non-stick or cast iron skillet to medium high heat or until a drop of water skids across the pan. Rub your chicken with a thin coating of vegetable, canola or light olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. DO NOT add oil to your hot pan. Place the oiled chicken in the hot, dry pan and don’t touch it for at least 3 minutes and turn. After you have achieved the desired sear, reduce pan to medium and cook until done. (165 degrees internal temp). Easier method with a lot less mess and lot less clean up!
Now lets chat about mushrooms. To get a perfect caramelization DO NOT salt them until they are nice and brown. Salt can make them rubbery and difficult to sear.
Giving up all my cooking secrets today friends!
This dish is a perfect weeknight meal. Change it up and leave out the cream and the mushrooms. Add some herbs and a little lemon and get a perfect herby, lemony, one pan chicken!
- You can make this with 2-4 chicken breasts without altering the recipe.
- When searing the chicken it is best to use vegetable, canola or peanut oil as it has a higher smoking point. But if all you have is olive oil, that will work too.
- You can add the cream or not. I like the creaminess it invokes and a 1/4 cup won’t clog my arteries.
- Serve with a simple steamed veggie like broccoli or cauliflower for a complete meal!
This recipe is based on my Creamy Chicken Mushroom with Orzo dish. Love this when I’m craving pasta instead of rice!
Another one pan recipe you might like! No standing at the stove. Just toss everything in a baking dish and dinner done!
Have a great day!
One Pot Chicken, Rice and Mushrooms
- 2-4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable canola or light olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sliced onions for garnish
Heat pan to medium high heat and sear chicken breasts (see instructions above for perfect no splatter sear).
Remove seared chicken from skillet (chicken will not be fully cooked but will continue to cook with rice).
Add mushrooms to hot pan. Cook until caramelized and brown. About 4-5 minutes.
Add uncooked rice, garlic and oregano.
Saute until garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken stock, cream and salt and pepper.
Nestle chicken on top of rice.
Cover and cook 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked though.
Garnish with sliced green onions if desired.