Crunchy Mediterranean Couscous Salad! (If I have to spell check Mediterranean one more time today…. next weeks blog is gonna be about something easy to spell….like wine! :).
Full of chickpeas, feta, cucs and a plethora of crunchy veggies. All tossed in a a 3 minute Lemon Dijon Vinaigrette!
I thought after last weeks post of Double Chocolate Whisky Cake, I should probably introduce some veggies back in my diet. I tossed this together this morning, had it for lunch and can’t wait for another scoop with my grilled chicken for dinner! Makes a big old batch and it will keep for about a week in your fridge. Crunch on!
It’s a perfect lunchbox salad and so nice to have something already put together to just grab and go. (Why do I always bring up the leftover lunchbox thing? I don’t even go to work. It’s just me and my Phyllis Diller hair padding around my kitchen all day…).
I used the veggies I love the most but you could switch out to accommodate your faves or what you have on hand. I am a broccoli fanatic…I rarely go a day without it. Most nights my house smells like old socks from microwaving or roasting that stuff. Me, my Phyllis Diller hair and the smell of old socks..kinda makes you wanna be me, doesnt it?
Here is the dressing I used for this salad. It only takes a few minutes to make, but I wouldn’t judge ya if you bought a bottle of italian vinaigrette….
I make my couscous in the microwave and just cool it down to room temp before tossing in all the chopped veggies. (my fave way to prepare couscous: 1 cup couscous, 3/4 cup water in microwave bowl. Cover. Micro for 3 minutes on high. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Fluff with fork. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper and fluff again. Perfect couscous every time!). Give it a chill and it’s a gift that will keep giving …and no guilt! This is some healthy clean eating stuff!
NOTE: You can substitute chilled quinoa for the couscous. Here is a super easy way to prepare your quinoa! Oven Baked Quinoa.
If you are still looking to get your crunchy veggies on. Check out my Crunchy Thai Chicken Salad with Peanut Dressing!
Have a great week guys!
- 2 cups cooked coucous (one cup uncooked) - cooled
- 1 cup chopped broccoli florets
- 1 cup seeded, chopped english cucumber
- 1 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1 cup chopped fresh tomato
- 1 cup chickpeas (also knows as garbanzo), drained and rinsed
- ½ cup crumbled feta cheese
- Other suggested add ins: kalamata olives, pepperoncini, red onion, roasted red pepper
- Clickhere for Lemon Vinaigrette Recipe
- Prepare coucous and cool to at least room temperature. ( 1 cup couscous, ¾ cup water in microwave bowl. Cover. Micro for 3 minutes on high. Let sit for 2-3 minutes. Fluff with fork. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, season with salt and pepper and fluff again. Perfect couscous every time!).
- Toss couscous, chopped veggies and feta.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Toss in desired amount of dressing.
- I suggest starting with a small amount of dressing and letting it absorb .
- Add additional dressing as needed.