We all know about Key Lime Pie – but I like my dessert in cake form. I want cake, cake and more cake! Nothing against all you pie lovers – I got nuthin’ but love for ya. It’s just this thing, this thing with cake, it’s big…and it’s getting bigger! Well everything is gonna get bigger if I don’t stop making cake every weekend…ugh. But I do share, so that makes it okay, right? I have Monday meetings and I bring whatever I have left over to the office. (I do too have leftovers!!)
Notes: Regular old limes work just as well as Key limes and they are a little easier to zest…key limes are tiny little suckers and you can easily zest your finger tip off. Not a good start to cake day.
Photography Note: I truly wish I would have sprinkled additional zest over this piece of cake! But like I said, key limes are tiny and I couldn’t get another piece of green off that thing – it all went in the cake and frosting! I sacrificed the photo for the flavor of the cake – and that my friends, is a good thing!
- For the Cake
- ¾ cup butter, softened
- 1⅔ cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ¼ cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh key lime zest
- 2¾ cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- Fresh Lime Frosting
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add milk, vanilla, lime juice, lime zest to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix with electric mixer until well blended
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake and frost with Fresh Lime Frosting.
- For Fresh Lime Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add lime zest and lime juice. Beat an additional minute until well combined.