This dinner meets all my requirements. Fast, Easy and Healthy! It definitely falls into my Fast and Fresh Category.
I have had this on my ‘recipes to blog’ list for at least a year. Somehow it keeps getting pushed to the bottom of the pile. Chicken trumps shrimp?? We cook a ton of chicken around here!
I found this in an old Cooking Light cookbook that is no longer available. (which is too bad because it is my favorite cookbook ever! It looks like this, just in case you ever run across it at a bookstore or a garage sale…I am so old :).
I have made a few modifications to make this even easier without sacrificing any of the flavor…of course!
I am happy to say I finally stepped out of my chicken rut and whipped up a batch of this because it was as good as I remembered and even easier to make.
You simply sauté up some onion and garlic. Open up a couple cans of diced tomatoes and throw those in the pan.
Add your shrimp and feta and bake for 10-12 minutes. You can use the same skillet to bake the shrimp in if you have an oven proof model. I poured mine in a casserole dish ’cause I wanted it to be all pretty and stuff for you….
I served it over cooked Orzo, but a baguette and a salad would be a great combo too.
This doubles as a fabulous appetizer as well!
- I bought my shrimp, frozen raw with tail on 31-40 count. (Costco).
- I used canned roasted diced tomatoes but regular diced will work just fine.
- Taste your sauce before you add the shrimp for seasoning. More salt or pepper?
- Kalamata’s are optional but add a really nice salty kick
Hope you enjoy this super easy recipe! You can check out a few more of my Fast and Fresh Recipe collection here!
Baked Shrimp with Tomatoes and Feta
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion halved and sliced
- 4-5 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 14.5 oz cans of roasted diced tomatoes undrained (regular diced is fine too).
- 1 pound raw medium size shrimp. Thawed if frozen and diveined.
- 2 teaspoons dried basil . or a handful of chopped fresh
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- pinch of red pepper chili flakes optional
- 1/2 cup kalamata olives optional
- 3/4 cup crumbled feta - 1/2 cup for recipe plus 1/4 cup for topping
Preheat oven to 425°F.
Pour oil into large oven proof skillet (unless transferring to baking dish than any skillet will do!)
Saute onions until soft - about 5 minutes.
Add garlic and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
Cook for about 10-12 minutes until slightly thickened.
Taste for seasoning.
Add 1/2 cup of feta, shrimp, basil and parsley.
Top with kalamata's and additional 1/4 cup feta cheese.
Bake for 10-12 minutes or until shrimp are just cooked through.
Serve with pasta or bread and a salad.