This is the perfect recipe for those fixer-upper apples you have hanging around but just can’t throw away!
I always seem to have so many apples. It’s apparent when you cruise my recipe index that I love apple desserts! There is: Apple Cake , French Apple Tart and Caramel Apple Cake ,just to mention a few. I’ve got my eye on an upside down apple muffin recipe as well. An apple a day keeps the waist line away! Well, unless you put them in a cake, or a cookie, or a muffin….so never mind…
This is a one bowl recipe that you can bang out in a just a few minutes. I topped it with caramel sauce from a squeeze jar. Hey, it’s okay, the bars are homemade – a little store bought caramel sauce isn’t gonna kill ya.
Oh, and you can easily double this recipe…some for you…some for a friend. You saved an apple today and all is well in the world….
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup packed brown sugar
- ½ cup white sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chopped apple
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- Your fave store bought carmel sauce (I used squeeze jar of Smuckers)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F . Grease a 9x9 inch pan. In large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, salt, and ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon; set aside.
- Make a well in center of dry ingredients and add melted butter, brown sugar, and ½ cup of white sugar, egg and vanilla. Mix wet ingredients inside the well of the dry ingredients slowly incorporating dry with wet. Stir in chopped apples. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared pan. In a cup or small bowl, stir together the remaining cinnamon and sugar; sprinkle over the top of the bars.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes in preheated oven; finished bars should spring back when lightly touched. Cool in the pan, and cut into squares. I used store bought carmel sauce to finish it all of!! Yum!