Nothing brings out the flavor of veggies like roasting them! I love the fresh taste of the potatoes in this dish. You can actually taste the sweet potatoes in your sweet potato casserole…what a concept!
The topping is plenty sweet with brown sugar, cinnamon and pecans. A great mix of fresh and sweet. Super easy MAKE AHEAD holiday side dish!
Just peel, dice, and roast your sweet potatoes for about 25 minutes. Mix up the topping – you don’t even chop the pecans! Takes two minutes to assemble. Bake right away or wrap it up and store in the fridge for up to two days.
My family went sweet potato crazy over this and I think it’s the fresh taste that won them over. This serves about 8 people but you can easily double…or triple! Feeding the world with fresh sweet potato casserole!
Need more MAKE AHEAD dishes for the holidays?
Make Ahead Mushroom Gravy – with a deep mushroom flavor.
Make Ahead Cheesy Potato Casserole – Made with frozen hash browns, so easy!
And for your holiday breakfast – Make Ahead Mexican Tortilla Breakfast Casserole!
- 6 cups peeled, cubed sweet potatoes (about 5 large potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ⅓ cup flour
- ½ cup plus two tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon (divided) ground cinnamon
- ⅓ cup butter, melted
- 2 cups whole pecans (chopped is okay too)
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with parchment or foil for easy clean up.
- Spread out cubed potatoes, toss with olive oil.
- Bake for about 25 minutes or until firm when poked with a fork and edges are browning. Turning once or twice while they roast.
- In a small bowl, combine 2 tablespoons brown sugar, ½ teaspoon cinnamon, ¼ teaspoon salt and pinch of pepper. Toss with cooked potatoes.
- Butter an 11 x 7 casserole dish.
- Add baked sweet potatoes to casserole.
- For the topping: In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon together. Fold in the melted butter and pecans until the mixture is totally combined. Spoon evenly over potatoes.
- (If making ahead - cover and refrigerate for up to two days)
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until pecans are lightly browned.