This is the second time I have made this, the first batch didn’t last long enough to take pictures. I don’t know who ate it, I just woke up the next day and it was gone. mmmmmm, hate that when that happens. This time, I snapped a few pics before it went AWOL. You can see by the cake pan in the background that it narrowly made it.
This is a one bowl, 10 minute prep time recipe. Once you make this you will never go back to a box mix! It’s a combo of chocolate, coffee, butta, sugar, a sprinkle of salt. It’s just everyday stuff but when combined, magic happens. The frosting is a two ingredient chocolate ganache. Ganache is just a fancy word for melted chocolate and cream. I do this in the microwave…doesn’t get much easier
My very first ‘pour shot’! Next time I’d probably clean up the counter behind it :)…. but it sure was fun to take! Oh boy you can almost taste that creamy perfect ganache….
Save a cup of coffee from your morning brew and whip this up. I should mention there is no taste of coffee, it simply enhances the chocolate flavor – your family is soooo gonna love you!
Need more cake? …and who doesn’t? Here is a grown up version of this same easy recipe!
Don’t let the ingredient list scare you, it’s only long because I included the recipe for an 8 x 8 AND 9 x 13 pan. Because sometimes you need a little cake…and sometimes you need a lot!
- Recipe For an 8 x 8 Cake (see recipe for 9 x13 below)
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream (or greek yogurt) Do not use fat free
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup brewed, cooled coffee
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 1 teaspoon sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- For an 8 x 8 Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Recipe for a 9 x 13 Cake
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups white granulated sugar
- 1 cup sour cream or greek yogurt (do not use non fat)
- ½ cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon vanilla
- 1 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup brewed coffee - cooled
- 2 cups flour
- 1½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons sea salt for sprinkling (optional)
- Recipe for a 9 x 13 Frosting
- 2 cups semi sweet Chocolate chips
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Select size of cake from above recipe and proceed with instructions:
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan or a 9 x 13 pan with non stick spray.
- In large mixing bowl combine egg, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Add cocoa powder and coffee. Mix until no lumps are evident.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- x 8 pan - bake for 25-30 minutes
- x 13 pan bake for 30-35 minutes
- Or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean
- Let cake cool completely before frosting.
- For Ganache Frosting
- Pour chocolate chips in large microwave save bowl and microwave for one minute until just soft.
- In another microwave safe bowl heat cream until it just begins to boil. About 2 minutes. Pour over chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes. Using a wire whisk, mix well.Chocolate will melt and will become a creamy consistency. Add vanilla. Cool in fridge for 10-15 minutes before frosting cake.Note: If you are in a hurry to serve, I found that chilling the cake after frosting it, for 30 minutes helped set up the ganache.
Lovingly adopted from Averie Cooks