I have been waiting for this cake my entire life…. period. Drop the mic. Walk away. Boom and Booyah! Chocolaty cake, smothered in peanut butter and topped with chocolate ganache frosting. I am speechless…(which could be from the peanut butter stuck to the roof of my mouth…I am such a spoon licker).
I used my easy one bowl Best Chocolate Cake recipe, topped it with peanut butter straight from the jar…which is how peanut butter is best. Then covered it with a two ingredient ganache that you make in your microwave in 2 minutes!
Birds sang, the skies parted and there was cake! Crazy good cake and wait till you see how easy this is!
Spread the peanut butter, right onto the warm cake.
Chill in the fridge for a bit then top with the super easy ganache that you made in the microwave. The ganache can be made days in advance. The longer it chills, the thicker it gets..yum!
Slip this bad boy back in the fridge for about 30 minutes before slicing, and everybody is your friend!
The cake and frosting are not overly sweet, which makes the peanut butter the star of the show. Love this cake chilled, it gets that kinda dense, lunch box lady cake flavor. If you have a peanut butter lover in your life, this is their cake!
Have I mentioned how much I love this cake? I love this cake!
This recipe makes an 8 x 8 cake but you can find the recipe for a 9 x 13 here. Simply double the peanut butter to 2 cups (one entire jar of creamy goodness!).
If you want a grown up Chocolate Cake, try my Double Chocolate Whiskey Cake with Whiskey Ganache! Same easy cake and frosting recipe with a kick!
To the best cake in the world!
- Prepare frosting first and allow to chill in the fridge while cake is cooking. The longer it chills the thicker it gets. Can be made days in advance.
- Ganache Frosting
- 1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg
- 1 cup white granulated sugar
- ½ cup sour cream (or greek yogurt) Do not use fat free.
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- ½ cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ cup brewed coffee, cooled
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- Peanut Butter Filling
- 1 cup of smooth peanut butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees and prepare frosting to chill:
- For Ganache Frosting
- Pour chocolate chips in large microwave save bowl and microwave for one minute until just soft.
- In another microwave safe bowl heat cream until it just begins to boil. About 2 minutes.
- Pour hot cream over chocolate chips and let sit for 2-3 minutes.
- Using a wire whisk, mix well.Chocolate will melt and will become a creamy consistency.
- Add vanilla. Cool in fridge for 10-15 minutes before frosting cake.
- Spray an 8 x 8 pan with non stick spray.
- In large mixing bowl combine egg, sugar, sour cream, vegetable oil and vanilla until well blended.
- Add cocoa powder and coffee. Mix until no lumps are evident.
- Add flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
- Mix until just combined.
- Pour into prepared pan.
- Bake for about 35-40 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool 10 minutes and spread peanut butter on top of warm cake.
- Chill cake in refrigerator until peanut butter is firm to the touch.
- Frost with ganache!