I would say the secret ingredient to this Italian Chicken Stew is the Portobello mushrooms. They deepen the flavor of the stew and give it a real meaty texture. Another little secret weapon is a touch of cinnamon. I know! Sounds crazy, but don’t skip this step…just try a little. It gives it a slightly mid eastern flavor.
We serve our stew over whole wheat couscous but it is great on it’s own as well. You can even thin it out a bit with some additional broth for more of a soup consistency. Oh, and did I mention healthy and low calorie? Clocks in at around 260 calories for 1 1/4 cups. (not including couscous). I’ve been known to make a pot of this just for work lunches!
This recipe has been on my regular dinner rotation for years! You can even toss the whole thing in a crockpot, raw chicken and all – turn it to low for 6 hours and dinner is done!
Great served with Cheesey Spedini Bread and a glass of good red wine!
NOTES: You can substitute Crimini mushrooms for the Portobello. Did you know that Crimini mushrooms are really just baby Portobello’s? Something to ponder when looking at the cost.
A savory and delicious chicken stew.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound thicken thighs or breasts cut into bite size pieces
- 1 large onion – chopped
- 3 pieces carrots – cut into bite sized
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 pieces large portobello mushroom – with stem removed and cut into bite size
- 1/3 cup chopped parsley
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14.5 oz can chopped tomatoes
- 1/2 cup beef broth or red wine
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- Crumbled feta or parmesean optional
- Whole wheat couscous optional
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or soup pot. Saute chicken until brown. Remove chicken from pan and all oil but 1 tablespoon. Add onions, carrots, salt and pepper to the pot.. Saute until vegetables are soft but not brown scraping up all the yummy bits.
- Add garlic and sauté until fragrant - 1 -2 minutes.
- Add mushrooms and parsley, simmer an additional 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back to pot.
- Add tomato paste, canned chopped tomatoes, beef and chicken broth. Stir well and simmer about 20 minutes. Dust with cinnamon.
- Serve over couscous and sprinkle with Feta for Parmesean if desired.