We love this 20 Minute Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup in winter or summer! This super fast and fresh soup is healthy and full of flavor! And at only 165 calories for a big serving you can eat this all week!
We are having so much fun reposting some of our most popular content! We first posted this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup back in the stone age…somewhere around 2014, which in blog years is about is about 25…
Our little old blog has come pretty far since then. Our pics are better, our site is faster and we have a much better outlook on what it is THAT YOU GUYS WANT! And what you want is healthy, easy, flavorful meals…and this recipe checks all those boxes! Do you love us more now? Tell me you do!
We love anything lemon. Savory or sweet, doesn’t matter. More lemon, more flavor! This soup takes about 20 minutes to toss together. You can use left over chicken, turkey or just buy one of those store bought rotisserie chickens. Those are the chicken gift that keeps on giving!
How to make this Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup:
Start with your basic mirepoix which is a combo of onions, carrots and celery. We are now teaching french along with with soup recipes…always thinking outside the blog box!
To that, a bit of lemon zest and fresh thyme. (dried thyme can be subbed in a pinch).
Lots of chicken stock, a cup of orzo and your cooked up chicken and this soup is done! I don’t think it gets much easier than that.
We love that it makes a huge pot! Lunch all week for you!
NOTE: that orzo works like a sponge soaking up all that chicken and lemon overnight. Keep a little bit of broth around to loosen it up a bit the next day.
Serve these along with our 2 ingredient Bagels that are a breeze to make!
We have over 40 Soup and Stew recipes and you can browse them all HERE!
One of our favorites is this 30 Minute Chorizo and White Bean Soup! The chorizo does all the flavor work for you!
To Souper Soup!
Need some extra help with this recipe? Take a peek at this video to get perfect lemon chicken orzo soup!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions? Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram andtag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped finely
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour
- 8 cups chicken stock we like low sodium
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons salt taste for extra especially if using low sodium stock
- 3 cups shredded or cubed chicken or turkey Rotisserie Chicken works great!
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add the carrot, onion, and celery. Saute until vegetables are soft, about 5 minutes. Add in garlic, lemon zest and thyme. Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes until fragrant.
- Sprinkle flour over cooked vegetables and stir until flour is incorporated into veggies. Just about a minute.
- Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer.
- Add the cooked chicken and orzo pasta. Cook until orzo is tender, about 8 minutes.
- Taste for seasoning...more thyme? salt? pepper
- Just before serving stir in spinach and simmer for 2-3 minutes until spinach is wilted. Serve with a little grated parmesan if desired.
Mary Mears says
I have tried this recipe before and it was delicious. This time around, I only want it for a few days and want to freeze the rest. Does this soup freeze well?
Kathi & Rachel says
Hi Mary – yes! I love freezing soup. Simply put it in a gallon ziploc freezer bag and lay it flat. That way when it freezes it doesnt take up much space and it’s easier to thaw.
Totally amazing soup! Used Trader Joe’s mirepoix and homemade chicken bone broth. This soup cures winter chills and ills!!!
Mom's Dish says
I bummed into your blog and wanted to say hi. Oh my, just love your blog name. SO creative. p.s. this recipe is awesome!