Quick Pickled Onions take less than 15 minutes to make with a simple vinegar and sugar brine that is made in the microwave! Ready to eat in an hour and will keep up to two weeks in the refrigerator!
If your looking for a simple recipe that gives you a lot of bang for your buck and time…you can’t beat this one! Healthy too!
You don’t even have to heat up the stove or dirty a pan. Simply heat the simple brine up in the microwave! pour over your sliced onions and you are done!
PRO TIP: Do you get onion eye? I do! I get it so bad it can ruin my day. I found a solution…it ain’t pretty but it works. Onion slicing glasses. (you can see them in the background of the picture below.) Yup, look a little goofy but that has never stopped me from much :). I highly recommend these!
After slicing your onions, fill your jar full full of the onions. You can use pickling jars or any kind of sealing container. Glass works best. Plastic will do.
The onions will shrink down quite a bit during brining so stuff it full.
One large purple onion will yield about 3 cups of sliced onion which fills two standard jars nicely.
How to make the pickling brine in two minutes!
- Pour vinegar into a microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. I used apple cider vinegar but any will do.
- Add sugar and salt. Heat for two minutes. That is it. You are done.
- Pour over sliced onions.
- Shake the jar a couple times
- Refrigerate for one hour and up to two weeks. Longer they sit, better they taste!
I personally like them best when they sit over night but if you can’t wait that long…one hour will give you a nice crunchy onion.
What can I serve these Quick Pickled Onions with?
- We love these with our easy Sheet Pan Fajitas and Taco Pie!
- Salads of all kinds
- Serve as a condiment with cheese and crackers
- Along side eggs
- Burgers, sandwiches, wraps
- They are healthy and easy to make and go with most anything!
Some additional add- ins:
- jalapeno – for some kick!
- pepper corns
- switch out the vinegar – herb vinegar, white vinegar, red wine vinegar etc.
- So many variations!
To fast, fresh and healthy!
Â What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, andÂ connect with us on Instagram andÂ Â tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!Â
Pickled Onions that use an easy vinigar brine you make in the microwave! In less than an hour you have a delicious condiment for tacos, burgers, sandwiches and more!
- 1 large purple onion or two small
- 1 1/2 cups apple cider vinegar or white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated white sugar or your preferred sweetner such as honey or agave
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
peel and slice onion thinly
combine vinegar, sugar and salt in microwave safe bowl or measuring cup. Stir. Heat for two minutes in microwave. Stir again making sure all sugar and salt is dissolved.
Place half of onions in each jar. Pour half of vinegar mixture over onions.
Put lid on and shake.
Store in refridgerator for at least one hour before serving and up to two weeks.
NOTE ON SODIUM: Sodium numbers are very inflated as onions do not absorb all the salt from the brine.
Vinegar: we like apple cider but any can be used.
Sugar: you will want to vary this based on your taste. We find one tablespoon of sugar per one cup of vinegar is a good ratio.
Brining time: Overnight is best. One hour will do!