It is definitely soup weather in Seattle! We had a little snow today. It was the first time in a couple years and it was gone by noon, which is my kinda snow day! You gotta live through snow warnings in Seattle to really understand the panic it creates ….snowmegeddon with only a few flakes!
I am still in the middle of my ‘mushroom phase’. Working through it deliciously. If they are not for you… just don’t include them. This is still a wonderful quick chowder with or without my beloved ‘shrooms.
Nothing terribly fancy with this soup. Start with your basic mirepoix, a frenchy term for carrots, onion and celery. Toss in some chopped potatoes, chicken broth and a splash of half and half.
30 minute later, you have soup and your family is all warm, cozy and totally loving YOU!
The chicken can be sautéed in the soup pot, leftovers from the night before or a rotisserie chicken from the market. Whatever is easier on the cook. Two cups of chopped chicken is all you need.
I used a mere half cup of half and half and was able to get a super creamy broth. But when I am really watching my waistline, I substitute a can of fat free evaporated milk. I know! How old school is that? But you get a really creamy soup without all the fat. Creamy soups secret fat free weapon!
This soup is so fast and easy, the next time you make it you won’t even need to look at the recipe. It will become a regular on your meal rotation and can easily be tweaked to include whatever you have hanging around.
- For the chicken: sauté cubed breasts or boneless thighs in your soup pot prior to cooking up the carrots, celery and onion. Remove, set aside and continue with the recipe or use baked chicken or even easier, a rotisserie chicken from your market!
- Sub one can fat free evaporated milk for the half and half and still get great creamy results.
- Toss in kidney beans, broccoli or sub rotini pasta for the potato to change things up.
- Omit mushroom for a fabulous mushroom free (insert sad face), soup!
Break out the slow cooker or cook for 2 hours right on the stove top. Either way this Beef Barley Soup is a rich, hearty and of course…super easy to make!
Or try this Quick Italian Sausage and Pasta Soup which mixes store bought marinara and chicken stock for a rich and flavorful soup broth. Oh, it has mushrooms too…go figure! Leave them out if you prefer…still a great quick soup!
Serve along side a loaf of hot easy to make Cheesy Stuffed Garlic Bread! Made with a store bought baguette and pre-sliced Provolone!
Stay warm and cozy guys!
- 2 cups cooked chicken, cubed
- 2 tablespoon butter (or olive oil)
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup onion, chopped
- 1 cup yukon gold or red potato, cubed (I like it with peel left on).
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- ¼ cup flour
- 4 cups chicken stock
- ½ cup half and half
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme or 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Melt butter in large dutch oven or soup pot.
- Add carrots, onion, celery, mushroom and potato .
- Saute until onions and carrots are just tender, about 5 minutes.
- Add flour and stir well until flour is no longer visible.
- Add stock, half and half, thyme, salt and pepper and cooked chicken.
- Taste for seasonings...more salt? more pepper?
- Simmer for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.