What’s to love about this Chicken Parmesan Soup?
It’s easy. Rotisserie chicken or a couple cups of diced cooked chicken will make a huge pot! It’s healthy. It’s fast. 25 minutes from stove to table! There will be leftovers for lunch! Sounds like soup perfection to me!
Know what this spells? Recipe winner! Hit’s all four marks that I love in a recipe! A few ingredients from your pantry and you have soup on! (I think I’ve already used up my allotment of !!! in this post!). But this soup has got me all excited!!!
I used canned crushed tomatoes because they really add some serious tomato flavor. But if you needed to substitute, use two 14.5 oz cans of diced tomatoes and three tablespoons tomato paste. Lucky me, I had some left over basil from my herb garden, so I threw that in along with a few over ripe tomatoes from my sad tomato plants…but they were happy to give their lives to my soup!
And of course with all the variety of pastas out there – gluten free, bean pasta, whole wheat pasta – you can change it up to suit your dietary needs. Throw in some spinach or sausage – it’s a great, quick, basic italian soup recipe!!! (argh…more !!!).
Just bring on the soup please!
Looking for another hearty soup? This one is a huge family favorite, we’ve actually nicknamed it ‘crack soup’. Catchy, huh? Check it out here: Gnocci Sausage Soup!
And wouldn’t this soup go good with Fresh Cheddar and Chive Scones!
Chicken Parmesan Soup
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 4 cloves large garlic chopped
- 1/2 cup green pepper chopped (Bell or Poblano will work...I used Poblano)
- 1 28 oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup fresh chopped basil or 2 teaspoons dried
- 6 cups good chicken stock I like Kitchen Basics
- 4 oz pasta - about 1 1/2 cups
- 2 cups chopped cooked chicken - breasts thighs or rotisserie will work
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 1 cup grated parmesan
- Add olive oil to large soup pot.
- Add onion and green pepper.
- Heat to medium and sauté until onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and basil. Saute for an additional minute.
- Add crushed tomatoes.
- Taste for seasoning....salt? pepper?
- Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
- Toss in uncooked pasta and cook until al dente.
- Add chicken and heat through.
- Serve with grated parmesan.