With just a few simple and wholesome ingredients, you can make this most amazing and comforting Gnocchi Sausage Soup in less than 30 minutes!
A recipe re-doooo ! We first posted this in December of 2011. That’s like a 100 in blog years. This was our first viral recipe and I remember doing cart wheels in the kitchen…not pretty, lemme tell ya and it’s a small kitchen. A simple little happy dance woulda sufficed but we are food drama queens so I celebrated big…
We love this soup for so many reasons. First because it tastes good! Close second, it requires very little effort. Made with simple ingredients that come together in a big way.
Gnocchi is readily available in stores these day. You will find it in the pasta aisle. I found this at my local grocers and paid 1.99 for it..a nice surprise. I remember when it was closer to six bucks.
BUT, if your not a fan of gnocchi or can’t find it, rotini noodles are a great sub.
Sausage: We used mild italian style. Easy to find, easy to use. You can sub chicken sausage, spicy sausage, just about any kind of uncooked sausage. NOTE: As much as we love smoked, cooked sausage I find the smoky flavor doesn’t pair as well with this soup as uncooked sausage.
Once you have sautéed your sausage and added the veggies, there isn’t much left to it!
I like heavy cream but I have made this with half and half and have gotten great results.
Sub great add-ins would be chopped carrot, celery, regular red pepper in lieu of roasted.
The sausage does most of the seasoning for you. It enhances the broth and cream…so the better the sausage, the better your soup!
SALT: I didn’t give specific quantities of salt because if you use low sodium broth or very salty sausage it will vary greatly. Your taste buds are the best tool for this. Love my job!
We have a over 40 easy, fast and fresh soup recipes to share with you! You can see them all HERE!
To soup! The fast, the fresh and the flavorful!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Gnocchi Sausage and Spinach Soup
- 1 pound mild Italian sausage bulk or removed from casings
- 1 small yellow onion, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 roasted red peppers, diced I use store bought
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste about half of a 6 ounce can
- salt and fresh black pepper to taste sausage is salty. Taste before adding a pinch was a time
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 48 ounces chicken broth 1 1/2 boxes
- 1 pound gnocchi or 1 cup dried rotini noodles
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves rough chopped
- 3/4 cup heavy cream or half and half
- Parmesan cheese for topping fresh grated
- In a dutch oven or large soup pot, brown the sausage. Tipping the pan, remove all but one tablespoon of the grease.
- To the sausage add chopped onion. Sauce until tender. About 5 minutes.
- Add roasted red pepper, garlic and tomato paste sausage onion mixture. Saute until fragrant and tomato paste is incorporated into the sausage.
- Add chicken stock, cream and basil. Bring to a simmer and add gnocchi. Cook for 5-10 minutes or until gnocchi is tender and floats to the top.
- Turn off heat and add spinach. Let spinach wilt and serve!
- Top with a sprinkle of parmesan cheese and serve with fresh crusty bread and simple green salad if desired.
Gnocchi can be subbed with rotini noodles if you prefer.