One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Soup – We like our chili slurpable around here! This not to thick, not to thin stewp will make your lazy sunday the perfect day!
Is there anything about this dish that doesn’t scream comfort food? Put me in front of the TV with my Seahawks jersey on, and dish me up a big old bowl! Serve it with a loaf of Cheesy Stuffed French Bread and I am hap-hap-happy!
This is an old time family favorite. Just try to find someone who doesn’t have a chili mac memory from childhood. Anything in a big pot with hamburger and elbow macaroni was pretty much a meal. We used to call it goulash….served with a stack of white bread and butter. Fabulous on a cold wintry night!
I like my stews on the soupy side, like a stewoup! So I added a couple more cups of broth to the pot. You will be glad you did come leftovers tomorrow. The pasta usually soaks up all the stock overnight, and you are left with a rather dry bowl of stewoup…
This is surprisingly healthy and wonderfully simple to make. The macaroni goes right in the same pot you browned the beef in! We slurped it down for a couple days. This is the food gift that keeps on giving! Dinner, lunchbox and dinner again!
Tips to make our One Pot Chili Mac and Cheese Soup!
- Remember to taste for seasoning. Chili powder varies in strength as does cumin. More salt? More pepper?
- You can easily sub ground chicken or turkey.
- Like spicy? Chop up a jalapeño and toss in with the onion.
- Slow Cooker friendly! Just brown up the beef, onions and garlic. Toss into your slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients except the pasta, which you will add the last 30 minutes. Cook on low for 5-6 hours or high for 2-3 hours.
Serve with Cheesy Bread! A simple store bought loaf kicked up to another level with garlic butter and cheese slices!
You can see all my easy One Pot Meals Here!
To Lazy Days and Comfort Food!
Chili Mac and Cheese Soup
An easy 30 minute hearty soup where even the uncooked macaroni is tossed in the pot!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound ground beef - I used lean . 7% fat
- 1 large onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic chopped
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 oz can of kidney beans
- 1 14 oz can of diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 6 cups beef stock
- 8 oz elbow macaroni
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups grated cheddar
- Add olive oil to large soup pot or dutch oven.
- Add ground beef and cook until done. Stirring and breaking up meat with a spoon.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until onions soften.
- Add tomato paste, beans, diced tomatoes and bring to a simmer.
- Add cumin and chili powder, stir.
- Add beef stock and bring to a simmer.
Add uncooked macaroni, salt and pepper to taste (don't forget to taste for seasoning...more cumin, salt and pepper? )
- Continue to cook for an additional 8-10 minutes until macaroni is tender.
- Serve with grated cheese on top!