This Broccoli RIce Casserole is so easy to make and so comforting! No condensed soup broccoli rice casserole is made with fresh broccoli, rice, milk and of course cheese! A simple white sauce brings this delicious and simple to prepare side dish together!
Serve this easy rice side dish with our Oven Fried Crispy Chicken for a super satisfying dinner your whole family will love!
How do you make Broccoli Rice Casserole –
1.) Start with a simple white sauce that literally takes only 5 minutes. With a bit of onion, garlic, milk and flour this sauce comes together in a flash! We use a pan that goes from stove top to oven for easy clean up!
2.) Two cups of cooked rice is added. Try our Easy Oven Baked Rice and bake the rice while making the sauce!
3.) Steam or boil your broccoli for 3 minutes until crisp tender. PRO TIP: Fresh broccoli now comes in microwave steamer bags, what a time saver!
4.) Toss it all together, top with cheese and in the oven it goes!
This easy to make side dish is perfect at the Holidays or anyday you need a comforting easy to make rice side dish!
How to make this rice casserole a full meal –
Add about two cups of your favoriate cooked chopped protein to the rice mixture before popping in the oven:
- cooked chicken
- Diced Ham
- cooked shrimp
- great casserole for leftover Thanksgiving Turkey!
Can this casserole be made ahead of time?
YES! Simply follow the instructions entirely and store in refrigerator for up to 3 days before baking.
You can also freeze for up to three months in a freezer friendly container.
More Easy Casserole Recipes for you!
To easy cheesy casseroles! Clink!
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Broccoli Rice and Cheese Casserole
- 6 cups broccoli – in bite size pieces
- 2 cups white rice – cooked
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup onion – diced
- 2 cloves garlic – minced
- 3 tablespoons all purpose white flour
- 2 cups milk – whole or 2%
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup cream cheese – regular or light
- 2 cups cheddar cheese – shredded
- chopped green onions for garnish if desired
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Steam or boil broccoli for 3 minutes until crisp tender. Drain and set aside.
- In large skillet over medium heat melt butter. Add onion and cook until soft about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Sprinkle flour over onion and garlic and cook until slightly thick and no dry flour is visible. Add milk while whisking. Cook on medium heat until thick. About 3 minutes. Add salt and pepper. Taste for seasoning.
- Reduce heat to low. Stir in 1 1/2 cups grated cheese and cream cheese. Stir until melted and well combined.
- Add broccoli and rice to sauce mixture gently folding until well combined.
- Pour into a greased 2 quart casserole dish.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake 25-30 minutes or until bubbly and cooked through.