Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole! Whip up this easy casserole on a lazy day! Using store-bought rotisserie chicken and canned enchilada sauce, this family favorite comes together in a flash!
We all know I am a bit of a lazy cook. And the older I get, the fewer dishes I wanna wash!But I also love, love, love good fresh food. There are times you can find balance, like with this super easy crowd pleasing Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
What makes this Lazy Day Chicken Enchilada Casserole so easy to make?
I used store bought rotisserie chicken, canned enchilada sauce, canned green chilies, then topped it with a few tomatoes and an avocado to give it a fresh kick. I opted for corn tortillas because they are 100 calories less than flour tortillas, (and as you know, I’m always watching my calories!). But if you are skinny, flour tortillas would work great too :).
A simple layer of sauce, shredded chicken, cheese, green onion and canned green chilies. Two layers and end with sauce.
You don’t even have to heat the enchilada sauce…I know! Told ya I was lazy. Bake it for about 45 minutes and you have dinner tonight and lunch tomorrow.
This casserole can be made in so many different ways. Here is a little list of subs and add ins.
SUBS and ADD INS for Lazy Day Chicken Enchilada Casserole!
- Sub flour for corn tortilla.
- Add in a can of corn thats been drained. Divide it into each layer.
- Sub green chili or salsa verde for red enchilada sauce.
- Toss in cubed zucchini or eggplant.
- Sub diced white or red onion for the green onion.
- Sub cooked ground beef for the chicken.
- Add a layer of refried beans on top of the tortillas.
- Top with salsa and sour cream
I’ll just bet, if you rummage around in your fridge you can come up with even more stuff!
If your still craving some Tex Mex or Mexican flavors, check out my faves below….
Tex Mex Chicken Skillet – you won’t believe how easy and full of flavor this is!
Southwest Chicken and Rice! – A true one pan wonder! You even cook the rice in the same skillet!
To healthy, fast and fresh dinners for the lazy cook in all of us!
Easy Chicken Enchilada Casserole
A super easy, fast and fresh casserole that comes together in a flash!
- 2 cups cooked, shredded chicken I used store bought rotisserie chicken
- 2 14 ounce cans red enchilada sauce I just use it cold, no need to heat
- 6-8 corn tortillas, halved
- 2 cups grated cheddar cheese
- 1 14 ounce can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 6 ounce can chopped green chilies
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1/4 cup sliced black olives (optional)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees and spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with non stick spray.
Layer your casserole as follows:
3/4 cup enchilada sauce
6-8 tortilla halves, just enough to cover the pan
1/3 cup black beans
1 cup shredded chicken
2 heaping tablespoons green chilies
3/4 cup grated cheddar
Repeat, ending with sauce.
You will have about 1/2 cup grated cheddar left to top casserole with when finished baking.
Spray a piece of aluminum foil with non stick spray so it doesnt stick to the top of the sauce, and cover pan tightly.
Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes. Insert knife in center to be sure casserole is heated through and tortillas are soft.
Spread with remaining cheese and bake an additional 5 minutes.
Top with chopped onions, tomatoes and avocado. Serve with sour cream and salsa if desired.