Rice, chicken and veggies all cooked up in the same skillet! Make this simple Southwest Chicken and Rice Skillet once and you will be making it over and over again!
I am truly in love with Southwest flavors lately and this whole skillet thing is just up my alley! Throw it all together in one pan and dinner is done!
You can make this with fresh chicken that you sauté in the skillet or a precooked version like store bought rotisserie chicken or even ground chicken or turkey. They are all good and will work great!
We are still getting used to our ’empty nest’ around here. It’s just me and Mr. Spatula these days and it sure has changed the way I cook. For years it was our daughter, and her now fiancé, most every night. I’ve gone from 4 to 2 and Mr. Spatula and I don’t eat much these days. I’ve noticed that I am always adding notes to my blog posts like: ‘makes tons’, ‘enough to feed your friends’, ‘great for lunch the next day’, however, I do believe I have lost my perspective on exactly what ‘tons’ is….but can I say… this makes tons! Ha! Really it does!
Why we love this Southwest Chicken and Rice Skillet!
We top salads, put it in tortillas and eat it just on it’s own for days! And what it does for your lunchbox…wooo hoo!. Taco salads…yay! It also make a great chip dip we found!
You can get fairly creative with this as well. Add more heat with a fresh jalapeño or hot sauce. Maybe sneak a few more veggies in. The kids will never know what hit ’em. I wouldn’t hesitate to add a carrot or two or even spinach. Top with sour cream, salsa or avocado!
NOTES: If using precooked chicken: Omit steps 1-3. Just toss in your precooked chicken following the directions when rice is done.
Looking for more fresh and fast recipe ideas? Check out my Pinterest Board for Fast, Fresh and Healthy meals here.
You can also try our Easy Skillet Mushroom and Pork Chop dinner!
To one skillet dinners that feed you for days!
Southwest Chicken and Rice Skillet
- 1 pound chicken cut into bite sized pieces breasts or thighs or both will work. See notes above when using precooked chicken
- 1 poblano pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 red pepper seeded and chopped
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup fresh or frozen corn
- 1 14 oz can chopped diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- Pinch of chili pepper flakes . more if you like it spicy
- salt and pepper
- 1 cup rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 cup grated cheese
- 1/3 cup sliced green onions
- Heat skillet to medium high.
- Add cut up chicken breasts and sauté for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Saute, poblano and red pepper until just soft.
- Add beans, corn and tomatoes,chicken broth and spices.
- Heat to a simmer.
- Add rice.
- Put lid on skillet and cook for about 15 minutes, stirring occasionally until liquid has been absorbed and rice is tender.
- Add chicken and combine.
- Top with grated cheese and sliced green onions.