We cook this Short Rib Stew in our slow cooker but stove top works just as well. You can use boneless short ribs or bone-in. Either give great results! Such wonderful comfort food on a winter day!
Who doesn’t love a delicious and hearty homemade beef stew! Even better when served with Homemade Quick Cheese Bread! This easy to make beef stew is made with simple ingredients and comes together quickly. Let it simmer all day and you can come home home to a big pot of Short Rib Stew!
Ingredients for Short Rib Stew:
- 2 pounds boneless short ribs (or 3 pounds bone in short ribs)
- small baby potatoes – red or white
- tomato paste
- beef stock
- dried oregano and thyme
How to make Short Rib Stew –
In a large skillet sear the short ribs along with the sliced onions and whole garlic cloves. This step really helps to develop a deep flavor when cooking for hours in the slow cooker.
Add the seared beef, browned onions and garlic to your slow cooker along with all the juices.
To the slow cooker add your carrots, potatoes, beef stock and spices.
Give a big stir and set on low for 7-8 hours or high for 4-6 hours.
30 minutes before serving, add mushrooms.
Combine flour and water in small bowl. Pour into slow cooker.
TASTE FOR SEASONING! More salt, pepper, thyme, oregano?
Variations for Short Rib Beef Stew –
- add one cup of good read wine in place of one cup of the beef broth
- add one cup of dark beef in place of one cup of the beef broth
- add parsnips or sweet potatoes
- add 1/3 cup of cream for a creamy version
- serve over cooked rice, couscous or polenta
- swap the short ribs for chicken and the beef broth for chicken stock – Chicken Stew!
A few more stew recipes we know you will love! –
Kathi and Rachel
Short Rib Stew
- 3 pounds boneless short ribs – or 4 pounds bone-in short ribs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion – sliced
- 5 large garlic cloves – whole
- 4 carrots – sliced into 3 inch pieces
- 1 pound baby potatoes, halved – red or white
- 4 cups beef stock
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 8 ounces mushrooms – sliced
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/4 cup water or beef stock
- salt and pepper
- Liberally salt and pepper the short ribs on both sides.
- Heat olive oil in a large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat. Add the short ribs to one side of the pan to sear, about 3 minutes on each side. Add onions and garlic to brown on the other side of the pan, turning occasionally.
- Add ribs, onions and garlic to the slow cooker.
- Add potatoes, carrots, beef stock,tomato paste, thyme and oregano to slow cooker. Cook for 4-5 hours on high or 6-7 hours on low until ribs are fork tender.
- Combine flour and water or broth in a small bowl. Add to slow cooker along with the mushrooms. Continue to cook for 20 minutes until mushrooms are tender and sauce is thickened.
- Taste for seasoning – more salt, pepper, herbs?
- Store any leftovers in a sealed container in the refridgerator for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.