Packed with all the flavors of Chile Rellenos in a casserole form! We added ground beef and refried beans before covering in roasted peppers, corn and a light egg batter. All baked up and ready to serve right from the pan!
Who doesn’t love a really good comforting casserole dish! Bonus if it’s packed with flavor and feeds a crowd! This casserole is made with ground beef, turkey or chicken. Easy on the cook step by step instructions for a no fail meal!
I have been making this dish for at least 20 years. It was one of the first posts when I started the blog and has been in need of an up-do for some time. I forgot how good it is!
Ingredients to make Chile Rellenos Casserole:
- ground beef, chicken or turkey
- onion – white, yellow or purple
- refried beans – fat free or regular
- roasted poblano peppers – roast yourself (see instructions below) or purchase two 4 ounce cans of whole roasted chiles
- grated cheese – any kind. We used mexican blend
- corn – fresh, frozen thawed or canned drained
- milk – 2% or whole
- chili powder
- garlic powder
How to roast your own peppers –
p.s. dont have time to roast your own peppers? No worries! There are whole roasted chilies at your grocer in the Mexican food aisle …yay!
Simply cut and core your peppers. Press flat onto a baking sheet and broil until dark brown. About 5 minutes. Toss in a paper bag or ziploc bag and those skins just sweat right off!
How to make Chile Rellenos –
- Prepare your ground beef and refried bean mixture
- add to 9 x 13 pan leaving a 1″ edge all around.
- top with corn, peppers and grated cheese
- mix eggs and flour mixture
- pour around casserole fillings
- gently press down until just the cheese is exposed
- bake for 40-50 minutes until brown and knife inserted in center comes out clean
Can I make this casserole ahead of time:
- Assemble all ingredients including the egg batter, cover and store in efrigerator for up to 24 hours and bake as instructed.
- Store leftovers in the refrigerator for up to 3 days then freeze in container for up to 3 months.
More simple and filling casseroles:
- Easiest White Chicken Enchiladas
- Healthy Mexican Casserole
- One Pan Chicken Pot Pie
- Italian Pasta Skillet
To easy casseroles for days! Clink!
Kathi and Rachel
Chile Rellenos Casserole
- 1 pound ground beef or ground chicken or turkey
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 1 16 ounce can refried beans regular or fat free
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground garlic
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 4 poblano peppers, roasted or two 4 ounce cans of whole roasted chilies
- 1 1/2 cups corn kernals fresh, frozen thawed or canned drained
- 1 1/2 cups grated mexican cheese
For the Egg batter
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cup milk 2% or whole
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- TO ROAST PEPPERS IF USING FRESH: Cut peppers in half and remove seeds and veins. Press onto a large baking sheet to flatten. Broil for about 5 minute or until blackened. Put into paper or ziplock bag and let steam until cool enough to handle. Remove skins.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9 x 13 casserole dish with non stick spray.
- In a large skillet brown the ground beef and chopped onion over medium high heat. Drain grease if necessary. Reduce heat to medium: Add refried beans, chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Stir well…it will be a bit sticky.
- Spoon meat mixture into the casserole dish leaving a 1" border around the edges. (this is where the egg batter will be poured).
- Top meat mixture with corn. Arrange poblano on top of corn and sprinkle with cheese.
- In a bowl with a pour spout (or a large measuring cup). Beat eggs, add flour and milk, hot sauce and salt. Continue to whisk until no lumps remain.
- Pour into the 1" space you created around the meat mixture. Using the back of a spoon gently press the meat filling down until just the cheese is exposed.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 40-50 minutes or until lightly brown and puffy. Knife inserted in the middle will come out clean.
- Serve with sour cream, chopped onions and cilantro if desired.