The latest trend of the internet is this Whipped Coffee. It’s a simple mixture of instant coffee, water, and sugar, whipped with a hand mixer for about 3-5 minutes, then like magic, it turns into this foamy, delicious cloud-like mixture. It is served over milk- warm or cold.
Whipped Coffee- referred to by some as ‘Dalgona Coffee’, was recently made popular on a Korean TV show and ever since, has been featured on the social media platform Tik Tok (which I am far too unhip to use…). I noticed this recipe on Instagram (which we do use!) and it seems like everybody is making it, and was too simple to not try. Hey- if one is quarantined, might as well have some fun and try something new. To my surprise, I loved it! The coffee whips perfectly, and it isn’t too sweet despite the sugar.
Whipped ‘Dalgona’ Coffee is really as simple as it gets. 1 tablespoon instant coffee, 1 tablespoon sugar, 1 tablespoon hot water. Mix it with a hand mixer for a minute or two on medium speed, and watch this coffee turn into a cloud like dream mixture. It’s pretty cool! Being 9 months pregnant, I did not indulge as much as I would’ve liked, but it was still delicious and a few sips were a great treat.
Let’s answer all of your Whipped Coffee questions!
- Do I have to use instant coffee?
- Yes. It will not work with regular coffee or already brewed coffee.
- What kind of sugar did you use?
- We used white sugar.
- Why do you layer it over milk?
- Because, it is STRONG. It needs to be ‘cut’ with something.
- What kind of milk can I use? Should it be hot or cold?
- Whatever kind of milk you like, at whatever temperature you prefer! Keep in mind if using warm/hot milk, it will lose some froth.
- I don’t have a hand mixer. What else can I use?
- You can mix it with a whisk- but be warned, it will take a while. A stand mixer will work as well.
- What kind of instant coffee did you use?
- I used Nescafe Classic. I have no preference, it’s just the middle of a pandemic and it was the only kind available but it tasted great!
- What goes good with whipped coffee?
A delicious and quick drink made from instant coffee, water and sugar.
- 1 tbsp instant coffee
- 1 tbsp white granulated sugar
- 1 tbsp hot water
- 1.5 cups milk of choice (2% milk used for nutritional value)
Combine sugar, water, and instant coffee into medium sized mixing bowl.
Using hand or stand mixer, mix ingredients until fluffy.
Spoon whipped coffee mixture over milk (milk can be warm or cold, your preference). Mix to combine.
Top with cinnamon, chocolate,or vanilla powder if desired and enjoy!