We went all out on this Ultimate Sour Cream Coffee Cake. Big flavor with tons of streusel topping, all baked into a loaf shape for easy slicing!
They are back! Like an old childhood friend, coffee cakes have returned and ours is the Ultimate ! We kicked this up a notch by adding sour cream and lots and lots of crunchy streusel. You can never have enough topping or crunch!
I first posted this several years ago and wasn’t sure how y’all would feel about it. But with over 200,000 repins on Pinterest...I’m thinking you like it! After remaking this recipe I was reminded how much I loved it. So much so, that I had to wrap up half and bring to a skinny friend. So happy I can be of service….sharing the chub, one friend at a time.
How to make the Ultimate Sour Cream Coffee Cake:
First we start by making this simple streusel topping. Brown sugar, nuts and cinnamon are a few of the ingredients you probably already have in your cupboard. We used pecans but walnuts or almonds would be a great substitute.
An easy to make pound cake batter holds onto all that topping your about to dump into it and on it!
After baking and cooling a bit, run a knife around the edges to help it pop right out of the pan.
Now mix up your simple glaze and drizzle over the cooled cake.
TIP: I use a fork for drizzling..it keeps the drizzle in nice lines without the globs a spoonful can make.
These freeze really well and make great gifts! Who wouldn’t want a cake?
We love cake! I mean really really love cake…and you can see all of ours HERE!
Two of our favorites are this Peanut Butter and Chocolate Cake where you slather on peanut butter right outta the jar and top with an easy ganache frosting!
or this Fresh Key Lime Cake! This super easy cake is great when you want a fresh bright flavor.
To cake…we love ya old and we love ya new!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
The ultimate delicious sour cream coffee cake!
- 1/2 cup butter - room temp
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For Streusel Topping
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons butter - chilled
- 1/2 cup chopped pecans
- Maple Icing
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoon milk
- Preheat oven to 350. Spray 9 x 5 loaf pan with non stick spray.
- For Cake:
- Using mixer. Cream together butter and sugar until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time. Add vanilla and sour cream. Mix until well combined.
- In separate bowl - combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Add to wet ingredients.
- For Streusel topping
- In medium bowl, combine all ingredients. Mix with pastry cutter or fork until well combined and butter is the size of small peas.
- Pour half the cake batter into the prepared loaf pan and top with half the streusel mixture. Add remaining batter and top with streusel mixture. (this makes a lot of streusel so go heavy with it!)
Bake for about 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Cool and run a knife around the edges before removing from the pan.
- Mix all icing ingredients together and drizzle over cooled cake.
Notes to make this Ultimate Sour Cream Coffee Cake
- We used pecans but walnuts or almonds would work just as well.
- We used a loaf pan but a 9 x 9 will work just as well.
- If you want 2 loaves or a 9 x 13 size cake pan - just double the ingredients and it will work fine. Hover over the serving size in the recipe card and a slider will pop up. You can adjust your recipe any way you like it! Yay technology!