I’ve always loved lemon flavored anything…savory or sweet, doesn’t matter. I have been stalking this recipe for quite some time and finally made it and am so glad I did! It’s light and fresh..I mean look at that photo? It looks like summer time!
This recipe is perfect for a store bought rotisserie chicken and I’ll just bet, if you look, you most likely have the ingredients in your pantry. It makes quite a large batch. After my family tore through it, I took the remainder and put in individual servings in the freezer for lunch, and won’t that be a treat!
So here I am on week 3 of my Anti Inflammatory Diet. I started off with a bang and I am limping to the finish line. The Seahawks are going to the Super Bowl and Seattle is in the throws of a pizza and chicken wing induced frenzy! This city is going crazy, I’ve never seen anything like it. It is just so dang fun, I lost myself there for awhile…but I’m back in the game (little sports humor there), and adding 30 minutes of cardio everyday to make up for my lack of self-control during the play off’s.
But at least I have light and healthy soup for the upcoming work week! Soup will fix it…it fixes everything! Yay Soup!
Adopted from: The Girl Who Ate Everything. A super cute blog that I recently ran across and plan on visiting frequently!
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 cup onions, chopped finely
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind (2 lemons)
- 2 Lemons - juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups shredded chicken (Rotisserie Chicken works great!)
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo pasta - 2½ cups
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.
- Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, lemon rind and salt. Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften.
- Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken and orzo. Simmer until orzo is cooked through.
- Just before serving add parsley. Serve with a little grated parmesan if desired.