I’ve always loved lemon flavored anything…savory or sweet, doesn’t matter. I have been wanting to make this soup for quite some time and boy, this recipe is a keeper!
This recipe is perfect for a store bought rotisserie chicken and I’ll just bet, if you look, you most likely have the ingredients in your pantry. It makes a big old batch. After my family tore through it, I took the remainder and put in individual servings in the freezer for lunch, and won’t that be a treat!
It’s a snowy day in Seattle and that is pretty unusual. Even more unusual is I have about 8-10 inches of the white stuff in my yard. A bit too much for this sun lover. Will take days to get out of this! But at least I have soup and GG! (Gilmore Girls :). I will survive!
- Use rotisserie chicken or just bake up a couple pieces to measure 3 cups.
- Add more veggies if you like. Broccoli or asparagus would be a good fit.
- You can see all my soup recipes here!
Here’s to snowy soup days!
Another super fast and fresh soup recipe. Italian Sausage Soup! This incredibly easy soup gets its deep flavor from chicken broth and marinara sauce!
Lemon Chicken Orzo Soup
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots chopped
- 1 cup onions chopped finely
- 1 cup celery chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons lemon rind 2 lemons
- 2 Lemons - juiced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups shredded chicken Rotisserie Chicken works great!
- 8 ounces uncooked orzo pasta - 2 1/2 cups
- 1/4 cup fresh flat-leaf parsley chopped
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
Heat the olive oil in a large Dutch oven or large pot.
Add the carrot, onion, celery, garlic, thyme, lemon rind and salt.
Saute ingredients over medium heat until vegetables begin to soften, about 5 minutes.
Add the chicken stock and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer.
Add the chicken and orzo.
Cook until orzo is tender, about 8 minutes.
Just before serving add parsley. Serve with a little grated parmesan if desired.