This creamy big flavored little cookie are incredibly easy to make with only three ingredients for the cookie! . Make them into any shape size or color you choose, for any holiday!
These are absolutely timeless Cream Wafer Cookies! I first posted these little beauties in 2011, redid them once, and they’re up again for a redo because they’re just that delicious!
These wafer cookies have only three little ingredients, (not including the frosting). Butter, flour and cream. No levelers like baking soda or baking powder and the only sugar used is what you dip the dough in. Just butta and cream! They bake up really light and flaky.
With only three ingredients these Cream Wafter Cookies will become a holiday favorite!
Tips to make these delicious Cream Wafter Cookies:
- Use really cold butter- it holds together and helps get these super flakey.
2. After mixing, chill the wafer cookie dough for a bit. Roll out, cut and bake. My only suggestion would be that if you refrigerate the dough for more than an hour it gets mighty firm with all that butter. I waited an hour and it was still too hard to roll out, so I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and then an additional 15. Be careful if you do this, the dough is primarily butter and will melt and can not be saved if you over do.
3. Dip in sugar, and dip them well. The sugar caramelizes and makes this cream wafer so tasty & delicious! I use a small bowl filled with sugar to completely coat them.
4. Poke with a fork to eliminate bubbles. Because of the butter in these babies, they’ll want to puff up. When you poke each cream wafter with a fork, it will help keep them nice and level.
Frosting: I used store bought. Kept it at room temp and added a few drops of red food coloring until light pink. I used a fluffy white so the pink would stay true. Cream cheese frostings are a little off color and won’t give you that clean pink that you want.
Best shared with those that you love….heart, heart, hug, hug!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Need some extra help with these lovely cream wafers? We got ya covered with this video!
Cream Wafer Cookies
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter cold, and cut into cubes (see picture)
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Granulated Sugar
Frosting (you can cheat and use store bought cream cheese frosting...I did 🙂
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Line baking sheet with foil and spray with nonstick.
- Using an electric mixer mix flour, combine 1 cup cubed cold butter and the whipping cream until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Roll dough 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes. Fill small bowl with granulated sugar, and coat each cookie. Poke with fork (see pictures above)
- Add cookies to baking sheet (use a flat bottom spatula or fish fry spatula to keep shape). Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
For Filling: (If not using store bought)
- mix all creamy filling ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops water if necessary. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
Store Bought Frosting:
- I used Fluffy White Frosting so I could keep the pink true. Add a couple drops of red food coloring until desired pink color is achieved.