Betty Crocker’s timeless Cream Wafer Cookies! I first posted these little beauties in 2011. I was using a little point and shoot and just messing around with snapping off some pics of my favorite food. Happiest day ever was when that little camera fell off the counter and jammed the lens. Headed straight to the big girls camera store!
These have only three little ingredients, (not including the frosting). Butter, flour and cream. No levelers like baking soda or baking powder and the only sugar used is what you dip the dough in. Just butta and cream! They bake up really light and flaky. That Betty…she sure knew what she was doing….
With only three ingredients these Cream Wafter Cookies will become a holiday favorite!
After mixing, chill the dough for a bit. Roll out, cut and bake. My only suggestion would be that if you refrigerate the dough for more than an hour it gets mighty firm with all that butter. I waited an hour and it was still too hard to roll out, so I put it in the microwave for 20 seconds and then an additional 15. Be careful if you do this, the dough is primarily butter and will melt and can not be saved if you over do.
Frosting: I used store bought. Kept it at room temp and added a few drops of red food coloring until light pink. I used a fluffy white so the pink would stay true. Cream cheese frostings are a little off color and won’t give you that clean pink that you want. I have included Betty’s recipe for filling as well if you prefer homemade. Me? I’m a cheater…ya all know that right?
Best shared with those that you love….heart, heart, hug, hug!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Three ingredient cookie dough with store bought frosting. Use any shape or color to accommodate any holiday!
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup butter 2 sticks
- 1/3 cup whipping cream
- Granulated Sugar
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup butter softened
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2-3 drops red food coloring
- Using an electric mixer mix flour, 1 cup butter and the whipping cream until a soft ball forms. Cover and refrigerate about 1 hour or until firm.
- Heat oven to 375ºF. Roll one-third of dough at a time 1/8 inch thick on lightly floured surface. Cut into desired shapes. Generously cover large piece of waxed paper with granulated sugar. Transfer cutouts to waxed paper, using pancake turner. Turn each cutout to coat both sides. Place on ungreased cookie sheet. Prick each cutout with fork .
- Bake 7 to 9 minutes or just until set but not brown. Remove from cookie sheet to wire rack. Cool completely, about 1 hour.
- For Filling: (If not using store bought)
- mix all Creamy Filling ingredients until smooth. Add a few drops water if necessary. Spread about 1/2 teaspoon filling between bottoms of pairs of cookies.
- Store Bought Frosting:
- I used Fluffy White Frosting so I could keep the pink true. Cream Cheese and Butter Cream tend to be a little yellow. Add a couple drops of red food coloring until desired pink color is achieved.