One Skillet Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms! If you make this once, you will make it over and over again! Simple wholesome ingredients that come together for a dish your whole family will love!
Chicken and rice is soooo nice! Especially when it’s done in ONE PAN and takes only about 30 minutes to throw together!
The chicken is seared perfectly with little or no splatter, (I’m gonna tell you how to do that). The mushrooms add a super big kick to the rice, and I added just a touch of cream to make it all come together.
HOW TO SEAR A CHICKEN BREAST PERFECTLY :
Heat your non-stick or cast iron skillet to medium high heat or until a drop of water skids across the pan. Rub your chicken with a thin coating of vegetable, canola or light olive oil. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. DO NOT add oil to your hot pan. Place the oiled chicken in the hot, dry pan and don’t touch it for at least 3 minutes and turn. If the chicken breast does not release, let it cook a little longer. It should come up easily when it’s seared perfectly. Those chicken breasts…they are so smart. Reduce pan to medium and cook until done. (165 degrees internal temp). Easier method with a lot less mess and lot less clean up!
Now lets chat about mushrooms. To get a perfect caramelization DO NOT salt them until they are nice and brown. Salt can make them rubbery and difficult to sear.
Giving up all my cooking secrets today friends!
This dish is a perfect weeknight meal. Change it up and leave out the cream and the mushrooms. Add some herbs and a little lemon and get a perfect herby, lemony, one pan chicken!
- You can make this with 2-4 chicken breasts without altering the recipe.
- When searing the chicken it is best to use vegetable, canola or peanut oil as it has a higher smoking point. But if all you have is olive oil, that will work too.
- You can omit the cream if you like and still get a great rice. I like the bit of cream with the mushrooms. And a 1/4 cup won’t clog my arteries.
- Serve with a simple steamed veggie like broccoli or cauliflower for a complete meal!
A few of my other favorite chicken dinners!
One Pot Southwest Chicken Another one pan recipe you might like! No standing at the stove. Just toss everything in a baking dish and dinner done!
Oven Roasted Chicken with Lemon and Rosemary Just a few ingredients to make a quick marinade. Toss with chicken and potatoes…dinner done!
To good old chicken and rice!
A one pan creamy chicken and rice dish the whole family will love! Cook the rice and chicken all in the same pan. Add just a touch of cream along with the chicken stock for a creamy chicken and rice dish!
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons vegetable canola or light olive oil
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 1 cup uncooked white rice
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Sliced onions for garnish
Heat pan to medium high heat. Rub the chicken breasts with the oil and place in hot pan. (not putting any oil into the pan itself). Let cook for 3-4 minutes and turn. Chicken will release easily from the pan once it is at a perfect sear. Turn and cook another 3-4 minutes.
- Remove seared chicken from skillet (chicken will not be fully cooked but will continue to cook with rice).
Add mushrooms to hot pan. Cook until caramelized and brown. About 4-5 minutes. Do not salt. Salting the mushrooms before will keep them from getting perfectly brown.
- Add uncooked rice, garlic and oregano.
- Saute until garlic is fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
Add chicken stock, cream. salt and pepper to rice mixture.
Nestle chicken on top of rice and reduce heat to medium.
Cover pan. Continue to cook on the stove top for 20-25 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and chicken is cooked though to 165 degrees internally.
Garnish with sliced green onions if desired. Serve with simple veggie like steamed broccoli or cauliflower.