This is a Soup-er easy recipe to make. Comes together really quickly and guess what you use for the ‘cream’? A can of evaporated milk! Clever, clever! The beauty of this is that your soup will never curdle or get grainy like some cream soups do and as an added bonus store bought Rotisserie chicken or turkey work great!
I’ve been making this soup for over 10 years and when I went into my blog to get the recipe I couldn’t believe I had never shared it! (I actually use my blog for recipes a lot…why not? They are all my faves!).
Hey there’s a potato in my soup! Yup, potatoes and noodles…whats not to love! The potato gives it an almost chowder type consistency that makes for a hearty dinner. I use “No Yolk Egg Dumplings” for the noodles. They don’t get mushy and will hold up when you reheat for dinner the next day and lunch the day after that…the soup that keeps on giving!
Creamy Chicken Noodle Soup
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup sliced carrots
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- 40 oz of low sodium chicken broth or 3 14.5 oz cans
- 2 1/2 cups diced potato
- 2 cups cooked chicken or turkey - cubed
- 1 oz can evaporated milk - I use 2% but non fat works too. 12
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 cups egg noodles - I like No Yolks - Dumplings
- Heat oil in Dutch oven or large soup pot. Add onion, carrot, celery and garlic. Saute 5 minutes. Sprinkle flour, oregano, thyme and poultry seasoning over vegetables; cook 1 minute.
- Stir in broth and potato. Bring to a boil and simmer 25 minutes or until potato is tender. Add chicken, milk, noodles and peas. Cook an additional 10 minutes or until noodles are tender.