The clouds rolled in for a couple days and all my nesting instincts kicked in. I had some nice mushrooms on hand and a little bit of cream in the fridge. (A girl needs some cream now and then). I brought out the big skillet and filled the house with the smell of sautéed chicken, wine and and fresh herbs! I darn near broke out the wooly socks
I am not a big ‘stand at the stove’ kinda girl. I like to toss everything on a baking sheet and shove it in the oven. But this went pretty darn fast. A quick sear, a bit of sautéing and it was done. I don’t think it took me 40 minutes (aka: two glasses of Chardy) to make the entire meal….and that I can live with!
Tips to make Skillet Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms!
- You can sub boneless chicken breasts in lieu of thighs but reduce the cooking time by about 5-10 minutes so you don’t dry out the chicken. Chicken breasts are done when a meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- We used grated Asiago cheese, but you could certainly use parmesan or romano or a blend of both!
- If you want to substitute half and half for the cream, you may have to add a tablespoon of flour, combined with two tablespoons of half and half to thicken the sauce. Personally, I’d stick with the cream. But if half and half is what you have this method will work.
Check out my new video for this recipe!
If you just can not stand at the stove for a few minutes sipping chardy tonite…you might want to try One Pan Roasted Chicken and Sausage. Easy one pan meal with tons of flavor!
You might like our super easy Pesto Stuffed Chicken Breasts as well!
To chicken and all the wonderful things you do for us!
Creamy Chicken and Mushroom Skillet
A creamy one pan meal your whole family will love!
- 8 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/2 cup flour seasoned with salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound sliced mushrooms I used cremini but any will do
- 1 clove large garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 cups white wine or chicken broth I used wine...of course!
- 1 tablespoon heaping chopped fresh thyme or 2 teaspoons dry
- 1/2 cup Asiago cheese or other hard cheese like Parmesean
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 cup cream
- In a large skillet, melt butter and olive oil on medium high heat.
- Dredge chicken in seasoned flour and cook in butter/olive oil mixture until golden brown. About 5 minutes on each side. Remove from pan and set aside.
- Reduce heat to medium add mushrooms and garlic to pan. Saute for a few minutes until mushrooms are slightly limp.
- Add white wine and thyme - scraping up all the bits in the bottom of the pan.
- Add chicken back to pan and simmer for about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan (yes, one more time!).
- Add cream, asiago, dijon and salt and pepper to taste.
- Add chicken back to pan to reheat and serve!