Italian Chicken Skillet – A super fast and fresh one pot meal that you can customize a hundred different ways!
This one pan meal is what I cook, when I don’t feel like cooking!
It’s been a whirlwind last 6 weeks. Turns out retirement is exhausting, fun and fattening! As my BFF says, fun weighs a lot! Sure does girlfriend! Trips to LA, Palm Springs and Santa Barbara with a few more on the books to look forward too. When we finally slowed down, we were in need of a healthy, quick and low calorie dinner. Am I skinny yet? I’m pretty sure I look skinnier…:).
In between trips we have been in the kitchen developing new recipes for the holidays and Rachel has a monthly newsletter coming out next week that I think you guys are gonna love! It’s called THE LAUGHING SPATULA THYMES…thymes? Get it? That girl has her Mom’s sense of humor, and all I can say is…sorry honey! We will be featuring new recipe round ups as well as tips, gadgets, and hopefully she will share a few of her home decor make overs. Chip and Jo Jo, meet your kindred spirit! Ship Lap! Farmhouse is her thing and her home is beautiful! (say it like a proud Mom!).
Here is how we make Italian Chicken Skillet Dinner!
We used boneless chicken breasts but you can substitute chicken thighs. If using bone in, just add about 15-20 more minutes of cooking time or until the internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
A quick sear in a hot pan to start….
Remove the chicken from the pan and add your veggies, lemon, wine and/or chicken broth. Thicken with a bit of flour, toss your chicken back in and dinner is done!
The possibilities are endless with this easy skillet chicken dinner!
Here are a few swaps that I thought of:
- No zucchini? Add broccoli or cauliflower.
- Add a little zing with artichokes, sun-dried tomatoes or roasted bell peppers.
- Swap out the wine for all chicken broth.
- Top with grated parmesan or mozzarella.
- Use chicken thighs in place of chicken breasts. (Increase cooking time if bone-in).
Take a look in your fridge or pantry, I’ll bet you can make this tonite with what you have on hand!
Don’t be fooled by the simplicity of this recipe. The lemon, chicken stock, wine and seasoning make a great and flavorful pan sauce!
Here are a few more of our favorite healthy chicken dinners to try!
Greek Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner – All the flavors you love tossed together on a sheet pan!
One Skillet Chicken Rice and Mushrooms – A one pan meal that includes the rice all cooked in the same pan! Check out the video and see how easy this is to make!
You can see all my chicken recipes HERE.
To easy, fast and fresh dinners that will make you skinny!
Easy Italian Chicken Skillet Dinner
- 4 boneless chicken breasts *chicken thighs can be substituted
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon dried Italian seasoning or 1/2 teaspoon basil and oregano each
- salt and pepper
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced zucchini
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/2 cup chicken stock, low sodium
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Heat large skillet with olive oil to medium high heat.
- Sprinkle chicken with salt, pepper and dried Italian seasoning.
- Sear chicken for 4-5 minutes on each side until brown and cooked through. Internal temp should be at 165 degrees.
- Remove chicken from pan and set aside.
- Add zucchini, tomatoes and garlic. Saute for 2-3 minutes. Add wine and lemon juice. Continue to cook for another few minutes until liquid is reduced by half.
- Whisk together chicken stock and flour in a small dish and add to pan. Cook for a minute or two until thickened. (This is a thin sauce so will just be slightly thick.)
- Toss in the spinach and cook until wilted. Add chicken back to the pan and heat through.
- Serve with a side of rice and more fresh steamed veggies if desired!