Often times I find myself with a pound or two of ground chicken and I’m not sure how to use it. Ground Chicken Pasta Skillet to the rescue! This is such an easy meal to make and one the whole family will love. We love to have it for leftovers the next day, too!
To make this dish, you only need a few ingredients.
- Ground Chicken: I like to use Isernio’s brand. This is not sponsored- I just like the flavor best. They use a mixture of chicken thighs and chicken breasts in their ground chicken and it makes such a difference. The little bit of added fat from the thighs keeps it from being too dry.
- Pasta: Any shape will do. I used Rotini because my son likes it. I have also made this with mini ravioli and tortellini and it is also very delicious. Orzo would be great as well.
- Diced onion: I use white, you can use whatever kind of onion you prefer. You can leave it out if you are not a fan.
- Marinara Sauce: My favorite brand is Rao’s. Ina Garten has used it for ages so you know it is good! You can find it at Costco or your local grocery store.
- Parmesan Cheese: Fresh grated always tastes best.
- Fresh Basil: I love garnishing any red pasta dish with fresh basil, it gives it such a fresh flavor!
First step to making this pasta dinner with ground chicken is to sauté the chicken in a little bit of olive oil, breaking it up as you go. During this step, I like to boil my pasta at the same time. Once the ground chicken is about halfway cooked, add the diced onion, and continue to cook. Drain the pasta, and add it right to the skillet. Add the marinara sauce, and give it a good stir.
I like to finish off this chicken pasta dinner with some good parmesan cheese and some freshly chopped basil. Serve it with a side salad, and enjoy! It’s that easy!
If you want to customize this dish, here are a few ways to change it up.
- Add vegetables: Mushrooms, zucchini, or bell pepper would be delicious. Add them during the step where you add the onions.
- Use different pasta: Spaghetti, orzo, farfalle, angel hair, or elbow pasta would be great.
- Add different types of cheese: Fresh mozzarella, dollops of ricotta or even feta cheese are delicious.
- Try it with a different sauce! Our 5 minute Alfredo is so easy. Pesto would be another option, Costco’s Kirkland brand is our favorite.
If you like this pasta dinner, here are a few more we think you will enjoy:
- Taco Pasta
- 5 Minute Alfredo Sauce
- Best Slow Cooker Lasagna
- One Pan Meatballs and Pasta
- Roasted Butternut Squash with Penne and garlic
Cheers to easy and delicious weeknight meals! – Kathi and Rachel
A delicious blend of ground chicken, pasta and marinara sauce topped with
- 1 lb ground chicken
- 12 oz cooked pasta (we used rotini but any shape will do)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp granulated garlic
- 24 oz marinara sauce (we use Rao's brand)
- 1/4 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 handful fresh basil for garnish (optional)
In a medium sized skillet on medium high heat, add olive oil and ground chicken, salt, pepper and granulated garlic. Sautee for 3-4 minutes, then add diced onion to pan. Cook together until chicken is fully cooked, breaking apart chicken into pieces with a spatula. Reduce heat to low.
Add pasta and marinara sauce. Stir until combined. Remove from heat once warm throughout.
Top with parmesan cheese and fresh basil. Serve and enjoy!
This post may contain affiliate links, which means we might receive a very small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you chose to purchase that linked item. We only link to items I know and trust. Clink!