Roasted Butternut Squash with Penne and Garlic Cream Sauce! – A match made in creamy heaven! Pasta in a light cream sauce with roasted Butternut Squash!
Oh Fall food…I’m fallin’ for ya! Especially if it includes pasta, cream sauce and fabulous Chardonnay!
The long hot summer, (not…live in Seattle but humor me), leaves me craving warm, bubbly casserole dishes made with Barilla Penne Pasta and served with Clos du Bois Chardonnay.
This comes together in a flash and is perfect for entertaining or potlucks. This dish is different enough to be interesting, but familiar enough that your guests will love it, AND you won’t believe how easy it is! (I know, I know, I always say ‘you won’t believe how easy this is’…but guess what? You won’t believe how easy this is!)
How to Make Butternut Penne with Garlic Cream Sauce!
While your butternut squash is roasting…(I saved even more time and bought the already peeled and cubed squash).
Boil your Barilla Penne Pasta, and start your super easy cream sauce with garlic and sage…
Toss it all together in the pot you boiled the pasta in (one less pot to clean), and pour it into your casserole dish.
At this point you can cover and bake the next day, or bake right away! If you find you want a little more sauce after removing from the fridge, simply pour about a 1/4 cup additional cream over the entire casserole.
I like to serve this dish with Clos du Bois Chardonnay..well I like to serve ALL my dishes with Chardonnay but that’s a whole ‘nother post. More vino please!
I always have a blue box in my pantry! Barilla Pasta is a standard around here. I trust it to come out perfectly every time.
Check out our Cheesy Potatoes Au Gratin – looks so fancy but is so easy!
To pasta and cream sauce…we love ya!
This yummy combination of Butternut Squash and Cream Sauce comes together in a flash!
- 1 pound cubed butternut squash about 3 cups
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 8 ounces Barilla Penne Pasta
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 cups heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan plus more for garnish
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage chopped plus more for garnish
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Heat oven to 400 degrees.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Toss squash and olive oil together, sprinkle with 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until soft and slightly brown on the edges.
- While squash is cooking:
- Bring stock pot of water to boil for pasta.
- Cook pasta for 10-12 minutes or until done but still slightly firm (al dente).
- Melt butter in large skillet.
- Saute garlic until fragrant, about 2-3 minutes.
- Add cream and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for about 5 minutes until slightly thicker.
- Add chopped sage, salt and pepper and 1/2 cup parmesan cheese to cream.
- Drain pasta and return to pot.
- Add cream sauce to pot with pasta.
- Remove a half cup of butternut squash to top your dish and combine the rest with the pasta and cream sauce.
- Pour into a 9 x 13 casserole dish.
- Sprinkle top with reserved squash.
- (if making ahead, cover with plastic wrap and store in refrigerator overnight).
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbly.
- Top with additional parmesan cheese and serve!