I totally missed the One Pot Pasta craze while I was going all Paleo and stuff. I have always wanted to try it and see if it really works. So on a crazy carbohydrate craving Friday night I gave it a whirl. And guess what? It works! Holy cow does it work!
You put your broth, pasta, cooked chicken and other goodies all in the same skillet. Cook for about 12 minutes and dinner is done. I topped mine off with a bit of fresh mozzarella and it was divine!
Lemon, Chicken and Pasta seemed like a good combination and I have a zillion lemons right now. Getting ready to make gallons (literally) of Lemoncello for my daughters wedding. She ordered bottles with personalized labels for giveaways – how cute is that? My girl, so clever…
There are tons of different ways to spin this recipe. You could sub about any veggie and pasta as long as it’s of the smaller variety. The penne I used is ‘mini penne’ by Barilla. You may have to add a touch more broth if your pasta is to firm for your liking. Just add a 1/4 cup at a time and keep cooking for a few minutes until the pasta has reached your desired consistency.
Still craving Lemon and Asparagus? Check out my Lemony Orzo Pasta Asparagus dish!
Chicken, Pasta and Asparagus Skillet
- 1 pound chicken breasts - cut into bite size pieces
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves large garlic - chopped
- 1 cup asparagus - cut into bite size pieces
- 2 1/2 cups chicken broth - plus a bit more if needed
- 1 lemon - juiced and zested
- 8 oz mini penne pasta
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- pinch of red chili flakes optional
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup either fresh mozzarella or grated parmesan
- In large skillet, saute chicken and onion over medium heat until chicken is almost cooked through.
- Add garlic and cook for another minute.
- Add chicken broth, lemon juice, lemon zest, pasta, basil, chili flakes, salt and pepper.
- Simmer stirring occasionally until almost all the liquid is gone (about 10-12 minutes) and toss in Asparagus. Cook for an additional 3-4 minutes until asparagus is crisp tender. Top with cheese. Cover and turn off heat allowing cheese to melt for a few minutes and serve!
Adopted from Yellowblissroad