Did you know that you can bake most any muffin recipe in a 8 x 8 pan and turn it into a snack cake? Yup, it’s true! I mean aren’t muffins just portable cake anyway? I love muffins but I hate cleaning the muffin tin…besides, I love me some cake!
I found this recipe on Taste of Home. Burst o’ Lemon Muffins! How cute is that! But the recipe called for coconut and I thought it deserved the same billing as the lemon hence the Lemony Coconut title. I added a bit of coconut extract to the mix as well to define the taste even more.
The warm cake is topped with a liquid citrus sugary thingy…similar to my Orange “Brownie” recipe. It makes for a really moist and flavorful little snackety, snack cake! Oh boy, too much sugar…cake does make me talk stupid!
We love this Lemony Coconut Snack Cake on days a whole cake is just too much!
If you don’t have coconut or lemon extract – it’s okay! It tastes good with just the lemon zest and lemon juice. If you use greek style yogurt, thin it with two or three tablespoons of milk or your batter will be a bit dry. Also, I see no reason you couldn’t add some blueberries to this…Coconut, Blueberry Lemon snack cake! Why not??
This Lemony Coconut Snack cake is just the right size when a whole cake is too much! Bursting with lemon and coconut flavors, we love this cake!
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup lemon or coconut yogurt if using plain then increase your coconut or lemon extract by 1/4 teaspoon
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 2 grated lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 1 teaspoon lemon or coconut extract
- 1/3 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 flaked coconut
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Coat an 8 x 8 cake pan with cooking spray.
- In large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In small mixing bowl, combine yogurt, egg, melted butter, lemon zest, lemon juice, extract and coconut.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and combine - do not over mix.
- Pour into baking dish.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
- Remove from oven and add topping while cake is still hot.
- For Topping:
- combine all ingredients in a microwave safe dish and microwave for 1 minute. Stir and cook another 30 seconds until all sugar is dissolved.
- Poke cake all over with a fork.
- Using a spoon drizzle toping over hot cake.
- Let cool before cutting.