Mediterranean Spaghetti – A familiar taste with a twist! There are two yummy layers of sauce on this spaghetti casserole. A ground beef sauce with a hint of cinnamon and another layer of creamy sauce made with feta cheese and nutmeg.
I’ve been making this Mediterranean Spaghetti for years. It originates from Cooking Light – 1998. okay, I really have been making it for years! I didn’t realize it was from 1998 until I googled it….jeesh, someone is getting old! When I made it the other night, my daughter said it reminded her of her childhood…eee gads, she would have been 8 when I first made it. Yikes!
Notes to make Mediterranean Spaghetti recipe
- I used ‘Thin Spaghetti” but regular will work as will Angel Hair.
- You can substitute ground turkey or ground chicken for the beef very easily.
- This takes 3 pots to make: 1 for the beef sauce, 1 for the feta sauce and 1 for the pasta but don’t let that stop you! Once you make this and see how easy and quickly it comes together you will make it time and time again!
Hope you give this a try!
You can see all of our delicious Casserole Recipes HERE!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula, while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
A delicious twist on an family favorite! Beef, spaghetti and a creamy feta sauce round out the fabulous casserole!
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 2 cups chopped onion
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 1/4 cup water
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 ounce can stewed tomatoes undrained, 14.5-
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 cup crumbled feta cheese 4 ounces
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese divided
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons dry breadcrumbs divided
- Cooking spray
- 4 cups cooked spaghetti about 8 ounces uncooked pasta
- Fresh oregano sprigs optional
Preheat oven to 375°.
Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the first 4 ingredients, and sauté 5 minutes. Add the wine and next 6 ingredients (wine through tomatoes). Bring mixture to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 10 minutes or until thick.
Combine the flour, milk, and 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg in a medium sauce-pan, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat, and cook for 7 minutes or until thick, stirring constantly. Remove milk mixture from heat. Stir in feta cheese, 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese, and egg.
Sprinkle 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs in a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray. Place 2 cups spaghetti in casserole, and top with 2 cups beef mixture and 1 cup sauce. Repeat layers.
Combine 1 tablespoon Parmesan cheese and 1 tablespoon breadcrumbs, and sprinkle over the casserole. Bake casserole at 375° for 30 minutes or until golden brown. Let stand for 5 minutes. Garnish with fresh oregano, if desired.