Made in just 20 minutes this Sausage Potato Soup combines just a handful of ingredients. Good soup doesn’t have to take hours! Your family will love this one pot meal!
We love soup! In fact when we started this blog I wanted it to be just a soup blog. Common sense prevailed and we love all food groups equally now, but thats how much we love soup! Did I mention we love soup?
What kind of potatoes do I use?
- use any kind you like! We find the firmer varieties like reds, whites and golden work the best but if you got a russet…go for it!
What kind of sausage should I use for the Potato Sausage Soup?
- Italian Sausage works best. The spices make the soup go boom!
- We like chicken sausage. Tons of flavor and not much grease.
- But full fat pork sausage will do a great job as well. Take a minute to remove all but a couple tablespoons of the grease before adding your chicken stock if you chose higher fat sausage. Your waist line will thank you and it keeps the soup from tasting greasy.
A simple blend of carrots, onion and celery start this soup off right. Called a mirepoix in Frenchie terms it is the base of most great soups and don’t we want to make great soup?
We added fresh chopped kale to this soup, but if that is just not gonna happen in your kitchen…and I kinda get that. Spinach is a great substitute. Or you could just go straight up Sausage and Potato…eat like a man I say!
The kale is cooked down and really does add some nice texture to the soup. Here is a quick tutorial on how to stem and chop kale.
This potato sausage soup recipe is a great way to introduce kale to your family. Just don’t tell ’em. They might just slurp it down before they realize they ate something healthy….could happen. Take pics!
Serve this soup with our Easy Homemade Rolls. You have never seen a bread recipe like this one! Just check out the reviews! The rolls rise in a 170 degree oven and without removing them, crank the heat to 375 and cook until brown and delicious! If you make them once, you will make them 100 times!
Here are a few of our favorite fast and fresh soups you whip up anytime!
30 Minute Sausage Minestrone – incredibly easy. This is the soup we make the most around here!
Beef Barley Soup – stove top or slow cooker
Gnocchi and Sausage Soup – The most popular soup on this site!
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
Sausage and Potato Soup
- 1 pound Italian Sausage chicken, turkey or pork
- 1 small onion diced
- 2 carrots diced
- 2 celery ribs diced
- 8 cups good chicken stock we prefer low sodium
- 1 pound diced potato red, white or gold work best
- 3 cup chopped kale or spinach
- 1/2 cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat large soup or stock pot to medium high heat. Cook sausage breaking up with a spoon until browned.
- If necesary,remove all but two tablespoons of oil from the pot. Add onion, carrot and celery. Cook for another 3-5 minutes until onions are soft and carrots are slightly tender.
- Stir in chicken broth, cream and thyme. Heat to a simmer. Add potatoes.
- Simmer for another 10-12 minutes until potatoes are tender. Stir in kale and cook for another 3-5 minutes until kale is tender.
- Serve with fresh rolls. Top with cheese if desired!
This is my new favorite soup. It was we quick and easy. I keep chopped celery and carrots in my freezer so it was so simple. Many thanks.
Kathi & Rachel says
Thank you for the nice note Sue! We are so glad you loved it!
We made this recipe on a chilly night and it was so comforting and hearty! We’ll be making this again soon!
Andrea Metlika says
Such goodness in this soup. I really like that you use chicken sausage as it’s my favorite.
It’s so much lease grease…who likes greasy soup right? Thanks for the comment!
Aimee Mars says
I love all the clean ingredients in this delicious soup! It looks so comforting and hearty at the same time. I can’t wait to try it.
So good! I sometimes use sweet potatoes instead of white, and sub coconut cream for the heavy cream. Really good both ways!
Those are some good ideas Michelle!
Chris Collins says
After reading this I think Sausage Potato Soup is going to be my new favourite soup! Can’t wait to try the recipe!!
Thanks Chris! Oh my gosh I love the name of your site! Have a great day!