Creamy One Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Orzo! Do we ever tire of these 30 minute dinners?
I have been cooking them a lot lately. Mostly because I am so freakin’ tired of baked chicken breasts, that there are nights I’d rather not eat. (okay, that is never gonna happen…such a food drama queen). But I do get tired of the daily hum drum of that baked breast and steamed broccoli. I mean if you gotta wash a pan, you might as well cook something yummy in it!
You can use breasts or thighs in this recipe. I am a total thigh girl but breasts were what I had, or have or used to have. (like I wasn’t gonna throw a boob joke in there…come on, you know me by now …).
Truth is, there is only 1/4 cup cream in that whole pretty pan. Half and half will work too, but a little cuppa cream is kinda nice. I threw a couple big handfuls of spinach in there as well, but you can omit if you don’t have it. Sprinkle some parm on top or a bit of feta. (because I like to add cheese to everything!). Serve with some steamed veggies or salad and it’s a whole meal!
I based this on an old recipe of mine for Italian Orzo Chicken Skillet and just changed it up a bit. I have always loved this recipe and use it tons. Needs new photos though. This blog is getting so old!
Mushrooms are kinda a thing with me lately. Check out another one skillet dinner for Easy One Skillet Pork Chops and Mushroom Gravy.
I also love this one pan Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe! So easy and a total flavor bomb!
To one pan meals!
Creamy One Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Orzo
A super easy and creamy chicken and orzo recipe!
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach optional
- Salt pepper
- Parm or Feta to garnish
- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and butter. Heat about two minutes until bubbly.
- Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until a nice crust forms. (chicken will not be cooked through but will continue cooking with orzo).
- Remove seared chicken to plate and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to hot skillet and sauté until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add garlic and orzo to pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken stock, cream and spinach.
- Nestle chicken on top of orzo mixture.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165 degrees and orzo is tender.
- Top with parm or feta and serve!