Creamy One Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Orzo!
Do we ever tire of these 30 minute dinners? Chicken and orzo are 1 of this earths geratest food creations- the combinations are endless, but add cream? Oh boy..we got ourselves a winner winner creamy chicken and orzo dinner!
You can use breasts or thighs in this chicken and orzo recipe. I am a total thigh girl but breasts were what I had, or have or used to have. (like I wasn’t gonna throw a boob joke in there…come on, you know me by now …). I love how healthy this chicken and orzo recipe is, too.
Truth is, there is only 1/4 cup cream in that whole pretty pan. Half and half will work too, but a little cuppa cream is kinda nice. I threw a couple big handfuls of spinach in there as well, but you can omit if you don’t have it. Sprinkle some parm on top or a bit of feta. (because I like to add cheese to everything!). Serve with some steamed veggies or salad and it’s a whole meal!
I based this on a favorite recipe of mine for Italian Orzo Chicken Skillet and simply changed it up a bit.
Mushrooms are kinda a thing with me lately. Check out another one skillet dinner for Easy One Skillet Pork Chops and Mushroom Gravy.
I also love this one pan Stuffed Chicken Breast recipe! So easy and a total flavor bomb!
To one pan meals!
This one pan wonder will become your favorite go to meal! Using chicken thighs or chicken breasts it comes together in less than 30 minutes!
- 6 boneless chicken thighs or 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 8 oz sliced cremini mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 1/4 cups chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 cups fresh spinach optional
- Salt pepper
- Parm or Feta to garnish
- Wash and pat dry chicken.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and fresh ground pepper.
- Heat large skillet or dutch oven over medium high heat.
- Add olive oil and butter. Heat about two minutes until bubbly.
- Sear chicken for 2-3 minutes on each side until a nice crust forms. (chicken will not be cooked through but will continue cooking with orzo).
- Remove seared chicken to plate and keep warm.
- Add mushrooms to hot skillet and sauté until golden.
- Reduce heat to medium.
- Add garlic and orzo to pan and sauté for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper.
- Add chicken stock, cream and spinach.
- Nestle chicken on top of orzo mixture.
- Cover and cook for 20 minutes or until internal temp of chicken reaches 165 degrees and orzo is tender.
- Top with parm or feta and serve!