Mojo chicken baby! An orange, a lime or two, some cumin and garlic, so simple. Give your chicky a quick 20 minute bath in that stuff and you got a tasty, fast, super easy dinner thats darn healthy too!
I am learning to grill this year. I have a fear of gas BBQ’s as well as anything electrical or plumbing related, (yes, I flush, but I kinda close my eyes like you do at a scary movie). I’m a work in progress. Do you know how many things can go wrong when dealing with a gas BBQ? There are flames and all those clicking noises when you hit the button. Disaster is just around the corner, I am sure of it….
But hey, look what I did! I conquered my fears and grilled us up some really tasty chicken. All by myself! Next week, fish…maybe some burgers. Man, a whole new world is opening up. Out of the kitchen and into the light! (Unless there is electricity in the light…then I am not going into it.)
Look closely. Thats a plastic orange in the background and a fake lime. I used the real ones for the marinade. You would think, I would have the foresight to buy extra oranges and limes for garnish. Nope, still flying by the seat of my pants around here. Good thing I keep plastic fruit on hand for just such an emergency!
The meat is real, kinda proud of that.
Blogggeerrrr of the yearrrrr!
- Chicken thighs, breasts or even drumsticks will work great for this recipe. I used thighs because they stay so moist in the marinade and on the grill.
- Love the red onions but peppers would be nice too. If you don’t have them, no worries. Make it without.
- I add all my marinade ingredients to a ziploc baggie and toss in the chicken. ( Along with fear of bbq’s I also have a fear of chicken germs so putting raw chicken in a glass bowl? I’d have to throw out the bowl. More about my fears in another post…bet you can’t wait).
- Save a quarter cup of marinade BEFORE YOU PUT THE CHICKEN IN IT. To baste while cooking.
- Heat the grill to high until good and hot. Reduce to medium high and don’t turn that chicken for 5-6 minutes if you want some pretty grill marks. Same with the red onions.
Serve with Crunchy Mediterranean Couscous Salad for a super fast and fresh dinner!
Have a great week guys!
Mojo Grilled Chicken with Charred Red Onion
- 6-8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
- 1 red onion peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 orange - zested and juiced
- 2 limes - zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock . I used wine...duh
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
Combine all marinade ingredients into a large ziploc type baggie.
Reserve quarter cup to baste chicken as it grills.
Add chicken to remaining marinade and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
Rub olive oil on red onion slices and keep on separate platter.
Heat grill to high and place chicken and onions on the grill.
Reduce heat to medium high..
Cook for about t 5-6 minutes on each side, basting with reserved marinade.
Chicken is done with internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
Adopted from Cooking Light