Mojo chicken baby! An orange, a lime or two, some cumin and garlic, so simple. Give your chicky a quick 20 minute bath in that stuff and you got a tasty, fast, super easy dinner thats darn healthy too!
I am learning to grill this year. I have a fear of gas BBQ’s as well as anything electrical or plumbing related, (yes, I flush, but I kinda close my eyes like you do at a scary movie). I’m a work in progress. Do you know how many things can go wrong when dealing with a gas BBQ? There are flames and all those clicking noises when you hit the button. Disaster is just around the corner, I am sure of it….
But hey, look what I did! I conquered my fears and grilled us up some really tasty chicken. All by myself! Next week, fish…maybe some burgers. Man, a whole new world is opening up. Out of the kitchen and into the light! (Unless there is electricity in the light…then I am not going into it.)
Look closely. Thats a plastic orange in the background and a fake lime. I used the real ones for the marinade. You would think, I would have the foresight to buy extra oranges and limes for garnish. Nope, still flying by the seat of my pants around here. Good thing I keep plastic fruit on hand for just such an emergency!
The meat is real, kinda proud of that.
Blogggeerrrr of the yearrrrr!
- Chicken thighs, breasts or even drumsticks will work great for this recipe. I used thighs because they stay so moist in the marinade and on the grill.
- Love the red onions but peppers would be nice too. If you don’t have them, no worries. Make it without.
- I add all my marinade ingredients to a ziploc baggie and toss in the chicken. ( Along with fear of bbq’s I also have a fear of chicken germs so putting raw chicken in a glass bowl? I’d have to throw out the bowl. More about my fears in another post…bet you can’t wait).
- Save a quarter cup of marinade BEFORE YOU PUT THE CHICKEN IN IT. To baste while cooking.
- Heat the grill to high until good and hot. Reduce to medium high and don’t turn that chicken for 5-6 minutes if you want some pretty grill marks. Same with the red onions.
Serve with Crunchy Mediterranean Couscous Salad for a super fast and fresh dinner!
Have a great week guys!
Mojo Grilled Chicken with Charred Red Onion
- 6-8 chicken thighs or 4 chicken breasts
- 1 red onion peeled and thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 orange - zested and juiced
- 2 limes - zested and juiced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup white wine or chicken stock . I used wine...duh
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- Combine all marinade ingredients into a large ziploc type baggie.
- Reserve quarter cup to baste chicken as it grills.
- Add chicken to remaining marinade and let it rest for at least 20 minutes.
- Rub olive oil on red onion slices and keep on separate platter.
- Heat grill to high and place chicken and onions on the grill.
- Reduce heat to medium high..
- Cook for about t 5-6 minutes on each side, basting with reserved marinade.
- Chicken is done with internal temp reaches 165 degrees.
Adopted from Cooking Light