This Easy Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potato recipe has it all! Tender chicken and crispy potatoes all cooked up on one pan for easy clean up .
What if you could throw dinner on a sheet pan, toss in some flavorful olive oil concoction and put it in the oven? I mean what if? Would it change your life? Maybe! Life changing chicken..sign me up!
The clean up is easy, the flavor is delicious and it makes enough for dinner and your lunch box the next day!
We used bone-in chicken thighs for this recipe. We love the way the richness and deep flavor of the thighs roast up in the oven.
Can I use boneless chicken thighs or breasts for this recipe?
- Yes, a resounding yes! Simply cut your potatoes in one inch pieces to accommodate a reduced cooking time of about 30 minutes.
How to make Oven Roasted Potatoes and Chicken Recipe:
Line a large baking sheet with foil for easy clean up. We used Yukon Gold potatoes but any potato will do. Red or white work the best as they are a bit more firm but you can sub a russet in a pinch.
Combine your simple marinade ingredients. Lemon, garlic, olive oil and dijon. It’s amazing what a simple combination of flavors will do!
Place your chicken and potatoes on the prepared pan, pour the easy marinade over everything and toss. Hit it with a big sprinkle of salt and pepper which helps form a crispy crust.
NOTE: Arrange the potatoes around the chicken so it all cooks evenly. This is an important step. If you place the chicken on top of the potatoes, the potatoes are not going to cook at the same rate and will not get all crispy brown…we love crispy brown potatoes !
Make sure and pre-heat your oven to get the best crisp on your taters and chicken!
Cook for 40-45 minutes until the internal temp of the chicken is 165 degrees and potatoes are crispy tender!
What other variations of Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes can I make?
- add herbs to the marinade like rosemary, thyme, basil and oregano. 1 teaspoon total should do it.
- toss in 2 inch pieces of carrots or turnips or both
- sub sweet potatoes for the white potato (our favorite variation)
- toss broccoli or asparagus florets in during the last 10 minutes to round out the meal
- these are just a few ideas…if you make this once, you can make it a hundred different ways!
Look at those crispy potatoes!
Serve with a simple salad or fresh steamed veggies like broccoli and asparagus.
To chicken and all it does for dinner!
Roasted Chicken Thighs and Potatoes
- 8 bone in chicken thighs about 2 pounds
- 3 large Yukon gold potatoes cut into 2 inch pieces (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice about 1/2 a lemon, save remaining half for garnish
- 2 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- additional salt and pepper to season
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Line large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- add cubed potatoes and chicken to sheet pan.
- Combine all marinade ingredients in a small bowl.
- add marinage to chicken and potatoes and toss. Arrange potatoes around chicken so chicken is laying directly on the sheet pan and not on top of the potatoes.
- Sprinkle liberally with additional salt and pepper.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until chicken is cooked through to 165 degrees and potatoes are crispy. Turn potatoes once during cook time for even browning.