Sign me up for anything Mediterranean; These Greek Meatballs are filled with feta cheese, spinach, and Mediterranean spices for a unique, restaurant quality Greek style meatball.
Greek Meatball Ingredients:
- Ground meat: You can use any type of ground meat that you like, chicken, beef, turkey, or pork would do well. We used ground chicken.
- Panko Crumbs: These help keep the meatballs together but also allowing them to remain tender.
- Egg: The egg acts as a binder between the panko crumbs and the ground meat.
- Spices: To give these meatballs true Mediterranean flare, we use salt/pepper, cumin (a nutty/smokey flavored spice), oregano and a touch of fresh mint!
- Feta Cheese: I like to add large chunks of Feta cheese to the outside of the meatball, they get golden brown and melty and delicious.
- Spinach: A little veggie kicker, the spinach adds a nice touch of color and compliments the feta cheese.
- Onion powder – or sub fresh grated onion
- Garlic – of course!
- Bell Pepper and Onion – this is optional but I love the addition of it and it cooks right along with the meatballs so why not?
We start by mixing all of the meatball ingredients in a medium size bowl.
This recipe yields about 15, two inch meatballs with one pound of ground meat.
Double this recipe and freeze the rest!
Meatball Pro Tips:
- Mix with a hand mixer or your KitchenAid mixer! I recently started doing this and it is probably my latest favorite cooking hack. No meat under your nails, no freezing cold hands, and I find the meat mixture comes together so evenly and perfect.
- Use a scooper! It ensures your meatballs are all the same size, and will cook evenly. I like to use the scooper, then roll them in my hand to make a perfect little Greek meatball.
We prefer to bake meatballs on a cooking tray lined with a parchment or foil for easy clean up.
We threw on some red, orange and yellow bell pepper along with sliced purple onion. This really adds a nice crunch to the dish. You can also toss in some small diced potatoes for a full meal!
How to serve Greek Meatballs –
- You can serve these Mediterranean meatballs with a simple salad or rice, but they are delicious on top of ourMediterranean Couscous Salad. The mixture of fresh vegetables and lemony dressing pairs so delicious with them!
- Stuff them in pita or naan bread.
- Serve them along side potatoes or Greek Style Rice!
- Chop them up and toss them in a salad for lunch tomorrow!
If you are a fan of anything Greek or Mediterranean- check out these other recipes!
- Crunchy Mediterranean Couscous Salad
- Greek Chicken Burgers
- Slow Cooker Greek Chicken
- Greek Chicken Sheet Pan Dinner
- Greek Pasta Salad
- Avogolemono Soup (Greek Chicken and Rice Soup)
- Greek Salmon Kabobs with Oven Baked Lemon Rice
- Easy Greek Salad Meal Prep Bowls
- Greek Baked Shrimp
- Easy Layered Greek Dip
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
- 1 lb ground chicken, turkey or beef
- 1/3 cup panko crumbs
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/3 cup crumbled feta cheese (plus extra
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon onion powder - or 2 tablespoons fresh grated onion
- 3 garlic cloves - minced
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon fresh mint - chopped
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 1/2 cups bell peppers - any color, sliced
- 1/2 purple onion - sliced
- Preheat oven to 400 °F
- In a large bowl combine all ingredients except bell pepper and onion.
- Roll meatballs into about 2 inch size or use a small cookie scoop.
- Place on lined baking sheet. Scatter bell pepper and onion around meatballs.
- Bake for about 20-25 minutes until cooked through to 165 degrees and bell peppers are crisp tender.
- Serve with rice or potatoes.