There are some days a little cream has to hit the pan! And this Super Easy 30 Minute Shrimp Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce recipe is just what we need today!
This super easy pasta dish is made with tomato puree and just a smidge of cream to make it taste decadent!
There are a couple things I really love…okay there are a million. I am a lover of all things….but tomato cream sauce falls in the top 25, maybe the top 10, and it’s possible it hits the top 2 when I am slurping it down!
With only 1/2 cup of cream I get my creamy pasta fix on without breaking the fat-o-meter. I do not love the fat-o-meter. That is something I do not love…or scales, or stretchy waist bands, or Spanx, no not true, I love me some Spanx!
HOW TO MAKE THIS CREAMY EASY SHRIMP PASTA WITH TOMATO CREAM SAUCE:
Start a big pot of water to boil for the pasta.
Now the SHRIMP! I used 31-35 per pound size. I usually buy it raw with tails on, but I I got distracted by the cheese samples at Costco and lost my focus. So no tails to pluck off as a dinner activity. 🙁
Saute’ in a bit of butter and olive oil. Add the garlic and remove the shrimp.
In the same pan, pour in a couple cans of tomato puree or tomato sauce. I find tomato puree to have a bit more flavor and the sauce is thicker, but either puree or sauce will work. Simmer a bit and add some chicken stock.
Now, pour in the cream! Just a 1/2 of a cup, take that fat-o-meter!
Time to toss in your cooked pasta. We used penne but you can use what ever pasta you love. Linquine would be a great choice.
In goes the grated parmesan, then the shrimp.
So easy! It’s a one glass of chardy meal!
Stir it up and simmer for a few minutes so everything is heated through. Top with a bit of fresh tomato and parsley if you like and of course more parm!
Serve with a simple salad and dinner is done, with leftovers for tomorrow and maybe even a bit more for the lunch box.
We love our healthy cream sauces around here and a few of our favorites are Skillet Chicken with Cream Red Pepper Sauce and this restaurant quality Pasta with Tomato Cream Sauce. Simple sauce without the shrimp!
Shrimp Pasta in Tomato Cream Sauce
- 10 ounces penne pasta or any pasta shape you prefer
- 1 pound raw shrimp, deveined and thawed if frozen we used 31-34 count
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 16 ounce cans tomato puree or tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup chicken stock add additional stock if sauce is too thick
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup grated parmasan cheese
- salt and pepper
- parmasan and fresh diced tomatoes to garnish
- Bring large pot of water to boil and cook pasta according to package directions. While pasta is cooking, start your shrimp and cream sauce.
- Melt butter and add olive oil to large skillet on medium heat. Sprinkle shrimp with small amount of salt, pepper and paprika. Cook shrimp until just pink. 2 minutes on each side.
- Add garlic to pan and saute for 2-3 minutes. Add tomato sauce, chicken stock and cream. Simmer for 5 minutes until heated through.
- Drain pasta and add to tomato cream sauce along with the shrimp and 1/2 cup grated parmasan.
- Turn heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes until all the flavors are combined. Taste for seasonings. MORE SALT? MORE PEPPER? If sauce is too thick, thin with additional chicken stock.
- Garnish with additional parmesan, chopped fresh tomato and parsley or basil.
Love that you both cook together, not many doing this these days
I did also with my Mother, she is Passed away now, and I miss that special time with her, so Cherish all that you have together as it goes by quickly
keep up the Yummy recipes