In a world full of food no’s, this is a yes! It’s creamy and full of flavor and you would think it was a big no, but with only 1/4 cup of cream in the entire recipe…it’s a big old yes!
A pureed jar of roasted red peppers is the base of this lovely dish, plus a little chicken stock and just a touch of cream. It makes a ton of sauce. Don’t you hate making creamy recipes and there is about two tablespoons of sauce? I have that problem with homemade frosting…why is there never enough frosting? Or filling? There is never enough filling. A definite no.
The feta adds even more flavor to the dish. Roasted red pepper and feta are so great together and it’s a nice change up from parm.
So, whats to know? Not much…very simple recipe.
- One jar of roasted red peppers that you puree with whatever blender gadget you have. I have a Bullet and love that thing. A food processor will do the job nicely as would an immersion blender. If you have no blender gadgets you can mince the red peppers and have a heartier sauce.
- Please use real cream and not half and half. Half and half can separate when heated and the calories you save are minimal.
- Serve with a side of pasta if you like, there is lots of extra sauce!
- You can use whole chicken breasts, or cutlets. Just reduce the simmer time to about 5 minutes-7 minutes when using the cutlets. They cook up fast.
- Sub the feta for parm or goat cheese…oh, goat cheese would be devine!
- This recipe easily doubles or triples to feed a crowd!
Other great recipes that includes roasted red peppers and a shot of cream are this Gnocchi Sausage Soup .
Skillet Chicken with Creamy Roasted Red Pepper Sauce and Feta
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves large garlic - chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried
- 1 12 oz jar roasted red peppers - drained and patted dry
- 1/4 cup chicken stock
- 1/4 cup cream whipping or heavy
- 1/2 cup crumbled feta - 1/4 cup for sauce and 1/4 cup for topping
- Salt and pepper
- Additional fresh basil to garnish optional
- Drain and pat dry roasted red peppers.
- Puree in blender or food processor.
- Heat olive oil in large skillet.
- Sear chicken until lightly brown - about 3 minutes on each side (will not be fully cooked but will continue to cook in sauce).
- Remove chicken to plate.
- Add garlic to hot skillet for 1 minute.
- Add roasted red pepper puree, chicken stock, cream,1/4 cup of feta and basil to skillet and stir.
- Heat until just simmering around edges of pan (do not bring to a boil).
- Return chicken to skillet.
- Simmer on low for additional 10-12 minutes until cooked through and meat thermometer reads 165 degrees.
- Top with additional feta and fresh basil.
- Serve with pasta, bread, salad or fresh steamed broccoli.