Skinny Chicken Taco Soup! – This soup is made with wholesome fresh ingredients and so easy to make! You are the only one that twill know it’s a ‘skinny’ recipe!
Eat this soup and you will be SKINNY! (well, maybe I oversold that a bit ….). But it’s a healthy super soup if there ever was one, with big flavors that come together in a snap!
I used store bought rotisserie chicken, but any left over cubed or shredded chicken will do. You can also sub ground chicken, turkey or beef and still get the same tasty results.
Who watches Gilmore Girls? I am on season three with four more to go. Thats roughly about 80 episodes left and I am already hoarding them like carbs on diet!
I am sure I was Lorelei in a previous life…all that witty repertoire. Just banging’ out all that sassy talk right at the perfect time. Ya, thats me, never say anything stupid or inappropriate….mmmmm.
Oh Stars Hallow, how I wish you were real…I’d book my ticket today. I’d bring my daughter Rachel because she is my Rory. We would have coffee at Lukes and help Sookie in the kitchen…wait… maybe I am more Sookie than Lorelei? Chubby and a good cook. Yep, definitely Sookie! Only with all the witty banter of Lorelai. It’s my dream. I can have both.
So this soup! This makes a big old pot! You will get a few dinners and a couple lunches out of it. Or do what I did and just have it for lunch all week long. Talk about easy meal prep! And it’s only about 200 calories for 1 1/4 cups including a few baked tortilla strips. Not including avocado though…insert sad face :(. God’s little joke….avocado is yummy, healthy and high in calories.
Tips to make Skinny Chicken Taco Soup!
- Use store bought rotisserie chicken, ground turkey, chicken or beef.
- Do some tasting as you cook this. Spices like chili powder and cumin vary in intestity.
- Serve with avocado, sour cream and baked tortilla strips.
- See all my Easy Soup Recipes here!
Need more Skinny Soup? You might want to try our Skinny Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
Have a great day guys! It’s lunch time with Gilmore Girls…yay!
Skinny Chicken Taco Soup!
- 2 cups cooked shredded chicken - store bought rotisserie works great!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 14 ounce can tomato sauce
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 14 ounce can black beans drained and rinsed
- 1 14 ounce can diced tomatoes undrained
- 1 14 ounce can yellow corn
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
- In large soup pot or dutch oven, heat olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Saute for 3-5 minutes until onion is fragrant.
- Add tomato paste, tomato sauce and diced tomatoes.
- Continue to cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Add beans and corn, chicken stock and cooked chicken.
- Add spices and taste. Adjust seasoning as needed.
- Baked tortilla strips
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut 3-4 tortilla strips in half then in strips.
- Spray large baking sheet with non stick spray.
- Spread out strips and spray with additional cooking spray.
- Bake for 5-7 minutes until crispy.
- Additional toppings could include sour cream and avocado!
Sarah @ Champagne Tastes says
Stop watching at the end of the regular Gilmore Girls- the new one is AWFUL!!! I’m still kind of shocked at how much I hated it lol.
This soup is fabulous! I hoard soup recipes haha
Kathi Kirk says
Well double darn! I’ve probably got until July till I see it ! lol!
This sounds so delightful! I must try it!
Bintu - Recipes From A Pantry says
Now I could eat a bowl of this now! It looks so warming and love the fact it is skinny too
This soup sounds so perfect for the chilly days we have had lately. Love all those toppings! Looks so easy too
Rosemarie Royce says
These recipes look AMAZING! As soon as I am finished with the diet plan I’m on, you betcha, I’ll be making this one and the tomato soup. ANOTHER WONDERFUL RECIPE FROM LAUGHING SPATULA. You NEVER disappoint.,
Gilmore Girls….yeah, been watching from (mostly) the beginning. Disappointed in the new Netflix one, but whatev….I’m a GG Fan, so okay! You should have seen our house for the Netflix premiere. OH MY GOSH! THE FOOD! Every new season, we would have a “premiere” party. NO JOKE………Chinese Food, Pizza, Tator Tots, Donuts, Red Licorice, Chips, Cookies, Mallomars, Marshmallows, Twinkies, Ice Cream, Sushi, Chip Puffs, French Fries, Chili Cheese Fries, Skittles, Pop Tarts, LOTS of Coffee and OF COURSE, Carrots. Yeah, we’re ridiculous.
Kathi Kirk says
Well you are so sweet! Almost lunchtime and my daily two episode allotment! I’ll be good until summer…LOL!
Rachie Roo says
Love the gilmore girls references! So funny!
Kathi Kirk says
YOU are my Rory! xoxoxo!