This easy chicken breast recipe is done in under 30 minutes! Chicken in Mustard Sauce is cooked in a skillet and truly one our favorite one pan chicken dinners!
We kicked this easy skillet dinner up with mushrooms, not a fan? Omit them and just enjoy the velvety and easy to make mustard sauce without them!
Although this recipe looks fancy it’s very easy on the cook. This is not the last time I make this delicious sauce…pork shops and fish watch out!
We have talked a lot over the years about searing chicken breasts, but in case you missed it here is a quick recap!
HOW TO SEAR CHICKEN BREASTS :
- We love a cast iron skillet but you can get good results with any heavy duty skillet.
- Preheat to medium high heat.
- Add your butter and olive oil to the pan. The oil will keep the butter from burning.
- Add a bit more olive oil the the chicken, just rubbing it on with your hands.
- Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Besides adding flavor, this helps create a crust.
- Now place them in that hot pan and leave it alone! Chicken is smart. It will tell you when it’s ready by releasing easily from the pan.
- Sear 2-3 minutes on each side. For this recipe it isn’t necessary for the chicken to be entirely cooked through as it will continue to cook in the sauce.
Now that you have mastered how to sear chicken breasts you are ready to make a plethora of delicious easy 30 minute meals including:
HOW TO MAKE CREAMY MUSTARD CHICKEN:
Once your mushrooms are golden brown. Add your flour and cook until no more flour is visible …this is called a roux. Look at you be all frenchie and stuff!
Toss in the stock and in goes that bit of cream!
Then right before your eyes it starts to get thick and creamy.
Look at all that mustard sauce with only half cup of cream!
Place your perfectly seared chicken back into the pan and spoon that fabulous sauce over it.
Continue to simmer on medium heat for another 10 minutes or so until the chicken reads 165 degrees on a food thermometer.
PRO TIP: If you don’t have a food thermometer, you need one! Our fave is from OXO, cheap and cheerful. It will save you from over cooking your chicken. (or undercooking)…but I tend to over cook when I don’t use it…it has saved many a meal!
Serve this dish with creamy Fondant Potatoes and a simple steamed veggie like broccoli.
To creamy easy one pan dinner recipes!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
A one pan 30 minute meal made with Chicken Breasts and a touch of Dijon mustard to enhance the pan sauce! Sauce is made with half chicken stock and half cream to keep it light and not to heavy.
- 4 boneless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoon olive oil separated
- 2 tablespoons butter separated
- 8 ounces cremini mushrooms sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon all purpose flour increase to 1 1/2 Tablespoons if using half and half
- 1 cup chicken stock we prefer low sodium
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 2 teaspoons fresh tarragon or 1 teaspoon dried
- 1/4 cup dijon mustard
- salt and pepper to taste will vary depending on your choice of chicken broth
Heat large cast iron skillet to medium high heat. Add one tablespoon butter and one tablespoon olive oil.
Rub chicken with one tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper on both sides.
Add chicken to hot pan and do not touch! Sear for 2-3 minutes. Chicken will release from pan easily when perfectly seared. Turn and sear another 2-3 minutes. Remove from pan and set aside
Reduce heat to medium. Add additonal tablespoon of butter and mushrooms. Saute 4-5 minutes or until a deep brown color. Add garlic and saute' for another minute.
Sprinkle flour over mushrooms. Stir until no flour remains visable. Add chicken stock, cream, dijon mustard and tarragon. Simmer for 2-3 minutes until thick. Taste for seasoning.
Add chicken back to pan and continue to simmer in the sauce for another 8-10 minutes or until chicken has reached 165 degrees internally.
Serve with rice or potato and a simple steamed veggie like broccoli.
- Chicken will not be fully cooked after searing but will continue to cook in the sauce. Chicken is perfectly done when thermometer reaches 165 degrees.
If using half and half, increase flour to 1 1/2 tablespoons.
Use lower sodium chicken stock and taste for seasoning before adding chicken back to pan.
Chicken will not be fully cooked after searing but will continue to cook in the sauce
This post may contain affiliate links, which means I might receive a very small commission, at no additional cost to you, should you chose to purchase that linked item. We only link to items we know and trust. Clink!