Here is one of my secret diet weapons! Skinny Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup. Coming in at only 30 calories a cup. (That is exactly a cup in the photo by the way). It’s hearty and healthy and great with a half a turkey sammie for lunch.
In under 30 minutes you can have a big batch of this delicious low calorie soup that will feed that hungry lunch demon all week long!
Make a double batch if you can, it freezes really well. Meal prep in small containers and make that boring sammie you been eating go boom!
How to make Skinny Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup!
Saute’ up some onions and garlic. Pretty basic!
Add a couple large cans of tomatoes. You can use whole, chopped or even crushed. Drain a couple jars of roasted red peppers and chop them up. Toss them in with some chicken stock.
Now the fun part…power tools! I use an immersion blender. (it’s 20 years old BTW. Must have been the first immersion blender the cave men used. Still works like a champ!). Feel pretty good about recommending this brand !
You can also use a blender or food processor. But if you have no gadgets that blend..we still got ya covered. You can just mash it up with a tomato masher and leave it chunky. I love chunky! And Skinny! I love Chunky and Skinny…there I said it. I am a lover of it all!
So there you have it folks. Skinny Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper soup. I feel skinner…do I look skinnier?
We have have a plethora of healthy soups and you can see them all HERE!
To Soup that makes you skinny!
What do you think about this recipe?Have questions?Comment below!Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
Hey and check out our new YouTube Channel!
An easy to make healthy tomato soup that has big flavor! This makes a large batch that will help you through the lunch hungrys all week!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion - chopped
- 2 cloves garlic - chopped
- 2 12 oz jars roasted red peppers - drained
- 2 28 oz cans tomatoes - whole or chopped
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 cups chicken broth
- 1/4 teaspoon red chili flakes - adjust to your taste
- In large soup pot or dutch oven add olive oil, and onion Heat to medium and sauté until onions are translucent and soft. Add garlic and sauté another 2 minutes.
Add drained peppers, canned tomatoes and sugar. Simmer 10 minutes and season with salt and pepper. ( Taste after every pinch. Canned tomatoes can be salty.)
Add 1 cup chicken stock and red chili flakes if desired- heat to a simmer. Reduce heat to low.
- Puree the soup until smooth using an immersion type blender or transfer to a regular blender or food processor (you will have to do that in a couple batches). Re-heat soup. Add more broth if desired. Check for seasoning and adjust. Serve with fresh basil garnish.
- NOTE: This is also good with a little cream. Before blending, add 1/3 cup whole cream for a smoother texture. Adjust your calorie count accordingly.
Tips to make this Skinny Tomato and Roasted Red Pepper Soup:
- When purchasing your tomatoes, you can use whole or chopped. You can also used crushed or puree and forgo the blending portion of the recipe.
- Careful with seasoning as canned tomatoes can be rather salty. Add just a pinch at a time.
- Freeze in large freezer bags or individual containers for great meal prep.
- Add a spoonful of cream over the top for some additional creaminess.
- A sprinkle of parmesan would be great too!