We took this cheese Stuffed Meatloaf and added more and more flavor, with ham, roasted red peppers and fresh basil! Super easy to make in a free form loaf. No rolling out necessary!
Nothing satisfies like homemade meatloaf! We kicked this up with tons of flavors and check out the technique, so easy! Mix up your stuffing ingredients with what you have on hand and make this a 100 different ways!
WHAT IS THE BEST MEAT FOR MEATLOAF –
- We used 80/20 fat content, however 85/15 would work well and be enough fat to keep this meatloaf juicy.
- A mixture of half ground beef and half ground pork is also an option.
- Ground chicken or turkey will work but avoid breast only meat. Will be dry no matter what you stuff in it.
HOW TO MAKE STUFFED MEATLOAF –
- Start by combining your meat mixture.
- Do your best to not over work the meat. This makes for a dense and tougher loaf.
- Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with foil for easy clean up. You will be so glad you did!
- Take half of the meat mixture and form a loaf shape in the pan.
- Add your stuffing ingredients down the middle of the loaf leaving room around the edges to seal.
- Next take remaining meat mixture and form into 3 large patties, placing them over the stuffing mixture.
- Seal the edges making sure there are no open spots for that cheesy delicious filling to leak out of!
- And finally whip up the quick and easy glaze and spread it all over the meatloaf.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until internal temp reaches 160 degrees.
- Let it cool for 15 minutes, slice up and serve!
TIPS TO MAKE THE BEST CHEESE STUFFED MEATLOAF –
- Do not over mix the meat to avoid a tough dense meatloaf.
- Line your baking dish for easy clean up.
- Get creative with your stuffing! Salami, chopped broccoli, cheddar…the skies the limit on this loaf!
- Rest the meatloaf for 10 minutes before slicing.
- Serve with Augratin Potatoes or Whipped Potatoes if desired.
- 2 pounds lean ground beef
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1 large egg
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
- 4 slices deli ham
- 5 slices fresh mozzarella
- 1 roasted red pepper, sliced – we used store bought kind
- 1/2 cup fresh basil leaves – or spinach
For Meatloaf Glaze
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons worcestershire sauce
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a 9 x 13 baking dish with foil for easy cleanup.
- In large bowl combine beef, bread crumbs, onion, egg, garlic, milk, oregano, basil, salt and worcestershire sauce. Gently mix with your hands being careful not to overwork it.
- Take half of the meat mixture and add to baking dish shaping it into a loaf. Place, ham, mozzarella, roasted red peppers and basil down the middle leaving edges so you can seal it.
- Top with remaining meat mixture. (I find making 3 large patties and placing on top the easiest method). Seal the edges well by pinching the beef together.
- Combine all glaze ingredients in a small bowl. Top the meatloaf with half of the glaze saving the remaining.
- Bake for about 40 minutes. Remove from oven and top meatloaf with remaining glaze. Bake an additional 15 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 160 degrees.
- Let cool for 10 minutes before slicing