Whats that saying? A bird in the slow cooker is better than 2 in the oven?
Let me say, without question, this is the best roast chicken I have ever cooked up and, I have cooked up many a roast chicken my friend. It is one of my favorite comfort foods and get me started on the leftovers…the mashed taters, the gravy! Some serious yumm!
A few tricks that will help you achieve the perfect roast chicken: Trick #1: Wad up 4 balls of foil about the size of a golf ball, place in the slow cooker and set the chicken on top. This keeps it from getting soggy. Trick #2. Take the chicken out of the slow cooker when the temperature reaches 165 degrees. If you wait until it reaches 180..you got a dry bird. Cook for 4-5 hours checking the temperature around hour number 3. My bird was buxom, (my age is showing) and it took 3 1/2 hours…smaller bird (less buxom?) shorter cooking time.
And did I mention Slow Cooker liners? Love them!
- 1 (4 -5 lb) whole roasting chicken
- 3 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Line the inside of a slow cooker with a liner or spray with non stick spray
- Make 4 small foil balls, about the size of golf balls and put inside the slow cooker.
- Combine all dry ingredients in a small bowl.
- Rub the dry ingredients all over the chicken, inside and out, and place in slow cooker on top of the foil balls.
- Do not add any water.
- Cook on low for 4-5 hours or high for 2-3 hours. Chicken is done when it reaches 165 degrees.