We’re celebrating National Ice Cream day with these delicious, retro Chocolate Malts! Old fashioned malted milk powder meets ice cream, chocolate sauce, and milk.
So, what exactly is a ‘malt’?
Well, it’s a milkshake, but a specific style of one. A ‘malt’ is a regular milkshake with malt powder. Malt powder is powder made from a mixture of malted barley, wheat flour, and evaporated whole milk. The powder is used to add its distinctive, nutty flavor to beverages and other foods but can also be used in baking. You can purchase malt powder at any grocery store, or on Amazon.
These chocolate malts are so fun to decorate! I used nonpareil colored sprinkles, whipped cream, more chocolate sauce, and a maraschino cherry on top.
Since it was my mom’s birthday, I wanted to make these kinda special. To get the sprinkled rim around the glass, melt chocolate chips in the microwave (I did this on a paper plate so I could save some cleaning time). Dip the rim of the glass in the chocolate, and have another plate with sprinkles ready.
Ahh sprinkles…the glitter of food… Dip the chocolate rimmed glass in sprinkles (I do 2 passes of sprinkles just to really get alot on there!) and then place the glasses in the freezer while you make your malt. Putting the glasses in the freezer helps set the chocolate, and keeps the sprinkles on the glass, and not on your floor 🙂 I’m always looking out for ya!
Alright- let’s get this milkshake started. I used my NutriBullet to make this but you can really use any blender. This is an EASY recipe- combine ice cream, milk, chocolate syrup, and malt powder in a blender. Mix it up to get the consistency you like, and boom! That’s it!
I think the best part of these is garnishing them– I like to make them look like something out of a retro diner! I added whipped cream, more chocolate sauce as a drizzle, some sprinkles, and a cherry on top. You can also add straws- but I find that they allow me to suck these down in about 3.5 seconds so they’re just there for aesthetic 🙂
What else could you do to spruce up these chocolate milkshakes?
- Instead of cake for a birthday, add a candle to them for something different!
- Garnish with leftover Halloween candy.
- Freeze them into popsicle molds and make malt pops!
- I used mason jars to serve these- 8 ounce jars to be precise. I like serving them smaller because they are so rich, any more and it would be a sugar headache. They are perfect in small doses!
Celebrate National Ice Cream day and let us know what you think! Clink!- Kathi and Rachel
Chocolate Malt Recipe
- 2 cups vanilla ice cream
- 1/2 cup milk (any %) add more if desired
- 2 tbsp chocolate syrup add more if desired
- 2 tbsp malted milk powder
- 1/4 cup melted chocolate chips for rim of cup
- sprinkles for rim & garnish
- whipped cream for garnish
- maraschino cherries for garnish
Garnish glasses if desired
- Melt 1/4 cup choclate chips in microwave for 90 seconds, stirring every 30 seconds.
- Dip rim of glass in chocolate, then coat rim with sprinkles. Place in freezer while making milkshake.
- Combine ice cream, milk, malt powder, and chocolate syrup into blender. Mix until blended.
- If desired, garnish with whipped cream, extra sprinkles, chocolate drizzle and a cherry on top.