Easy and comforting Chicken and Mushroom Soup. 30 minutes from start to table! Add rice or pasta, you pick, it’s delicous both ways!
We opted for rice this time but have made this plenty of time using pasta.
Serve this a chicken and mushroom soup along side our delicious Cheddar and Onion Biscuits and everybody will love you! We love it when everybody loves you!
Start with your basic blend of carrots, celery and onion. Thats called a mirepoix for you fancy frenchy types :).
Adding sliced mushrooms deepens the flavor of this simple and easy to prepare soup to another level. Not your everyday chicken soup!
Why we love this Chicken and Mushroom Soup –
- It’s easy and it uses fresh ingredients you may already have on hand.
- It’s a perfect soup for either rice or pasta. Just depends on how your feeling on your soup day.
- It makes a large pot of soup which you can enjoy for several meals.
- It’s a good reason to make biscuits. If there is bread, they will come to the table.
What are the ingredients for this soup?
- Cooked Chicken – one large chicken breast, leftover chicken or rotisserie chicken works great!
- 1 cup of rice or 1 1/2 cups of small pasta like elbow macaroni or bowties. Broken up spaghetti or fettucine works great too.
- Mushrooms – we used crimini but white will work just fine
- Thyme – fresh is you can!
- Good chicken stock. Low sodium variety so you can control the seasoning.
- See the recipe card below for full details
What can I serve with this soup?
- Cheddar biscuits
- Savory Cheese Scones
- English Muffin bread
- One Rise Soft Dinner Rolls
- Easy Foccacia Bread
This soup is so versatile. Change it up 100 different ways! A few ideas:
- sub sausage for chicken
- add chopped red peppers or any of your favoriate veggies. Zucchini? Broccoli?
- use vegetable broth
- add a touch of cream! A 1/3 to 1/2 cup of half and half or heavy cream will turn this into a cream soup! Along with the mushrooms…yum!
Our love of mushrooms continues with these great recipes:
- One Pot Chicken and Rice with Mushrooms
- Skillet Chicken with Mushrooms and Orzo
- Seared Chicken with Simple Mushroom Pan Sauce
Kathi and Rachel
What do you think about this recipe? Have questions? Comment below! Don’t forget to like us on Facebook, and connect with us on Instagram and tag your @Laughingspatula recipes with #laughingspatula,while you’re at it…We love to see your pics!
A fast and fresh soup that can be made in less than 30 minutes with either rice or pasta!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup carrots, diced
- 1 cup celery, diced
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme, chopped or 1 1/2 teaspoon dried
- 1 cup uncooked rice or 1 1/2 cups small pasta like elbow macaroni or bowties.
- 8 cups chicken stock low sodium if possible
- 2 cups cooked chicken, diced
- salt and pepper
Heat large soup pot or dutch oven over medium heat. Add olive oil, carrots, celery, onions and mushrooms. Saute until tender, about 10 minutes. Add garlic and cook for another few minutes. Add big sprinkle of salt and pepper. (this will vary depending on sodium level of your stock...taste!).
Add thyme and saute another few minutes. Add chicken stock and bring to a simmer.
Add rice (or pasta) and cook until soft. About 20 minutes for rice and 15 for pasta.
Add in diced chicken. Taste for seasoning. Adjust to taste.
Serve with bread or rolls!
Nutritional information is based on rice.
Store in sealed container for up to 3 days in the refridgerator.