Easy Blueberry Pie Bars! – Made with fresh ingredients and the crust does double duty as the topping making this a super easy treat!
If I were a blueberry, I would want to land my big blue butt in this pan. What a way to go out…
This recipe is one I posted way long ago, when my blog was just a baby. Now it is old, the blog I mean…well the blogger is too…
But it’s okay because we have Blueberry Pie Bars!
I love getting older, some day I’ll tell you all about it. The aches, the pains, the urge to watch Let’s Make a Deal. And when did Bob Barker get so hot?
Such a simple recipe. You mix up a standard quick crust of flour, butter etc. Remove one cup before pressing in the bottom of pan, to use for the crumble on top. (I am giving you a visual of this so you don’t forget this step… I am old. I always forget this step).
Mix up your filling ingredients that include eggs and sour cream …yes sour cream! How clever is that?
Us oldies, we got the secrets!
Now add the fresh or frozen blueberries.
TIP: If using frozen blueberries, toss a tablespoon of flour into them to keep them from bleeding into your bars.
Pour blueberry and batter mix on top of your par baked crust.
Sprinkle the blueberry batter with the cup of crust mixture you set aside earlier.
In the oven it goes!
Cool slightly before serving to make them easier to cut.
These are good fresh out of the oven or served room temp.
This same recipe can be made with pineapple! Delicious and just as easy! PINEAPPLE BARS
Check out this video on how to make these delicious & easy Blueberry Pie bars!
Blueberry Pie in a bar! One pan easy!
- Crust and Topping
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- pinch salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter cut into cubes
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- pinch salt
- 3 cups fresh blueberries - Frozen can be substituted
- Spray a 9x13 glass baking dish with non stick spray - set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Add flour, sugar, salt and cubed butter to mixing bowl, beat until combined and crumbly. (DO NOT OVER MIX or you will have a cookie dough consistency. It should be crumbly)
- Remove one cup of flour mixture and set aside.
- Take remaining mixture and firmly press into your baking dish, covering the bottom.
Bake 10-12 minutes or until just firm to the touch and no brown on the sides. It will continue to bake after you add the topping.
- While crust is baking- whisk eggs in a large bowl.
- Add sugar, sour cream, flour and salt.
Gently fold in blueberries. (if using frozen, do not fold in blueberries until you are ready to pour into prepared pie crust to avoid your batter turning blue).
- When crust is ready - remove from oven and add filling. Gently spooning over the top of the crust.
- Sprinkle with remaining crust mixture you had set aside.
- Bake 1 hour or until top is lightly browned.
Cool 10 minutes before slicing.
Careful not over mix crust mixture as it will result in a cookie dough type consistency. We like to use an electric mixer for this but you can also use a pasty cutter or two forks. MIX JUST UNTIL CRUMBLY, DO NOT OVER MIX.
I used fresh blueberries but you can substitute frozen, just don't thaw them. Use them frozen or you will have a big blue mess on your hands. It will still taste good but it won't be pretty. I like pretty.