We all know about Key Lime Pie – but I like my dessert in cake form. I want cake, cake and more cake! Nothing against all you pie lovers – I got nuthin’ but love for ya. It’s just this thing, this thing with cake, it’s big…and it’s getting bigger! Well everything is gonna get bigger if I don’t stop making cake every weekend…ugh. But I do share, so that makes it okay, right?
Regular limes work for this Key Lime Cake just as well as Key Limes!
and they are a little easier to zest…key limes are tiny little suckers and you can easily zest your finger tip off. Not a good start to cake day. Cake fixes a lot of things but it won’t make you grow your finger tips back…
Photography Note: I truly wish I would have sprinkled additional zest over this piece of cake! But like I said, key limes are tiny and I couldn’t get another piece of green off that thing – it all went in the cake and frosting! I sacrificed the photo for the flavor of the cake – and that my friends, is a good thing!
We love easy to make desserts around here and you can see all of them HERE!
Fresh Key Lime Cake!
You will love the fresh taste of this Key Lime Cake that doesnt really need key limes! Any lime will do!
- For the Cake
- 3/4 cup butter softened
- 1 2/3 cups sugar; superfine sugar is best
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup fresh key lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fresh key lime zest
- 2 3/4 cups all purpose flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- Fresh Lime Frosting
- 4 oz butter
- 4 oz cream cheese
- 2 cups confectioners sugar
- 2 teaspoons lime zest
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Spray a 9" x 13" pan with non-stick spray.
- Mix together butter and sugar. Add eggs one at a time.
- Add milk, vanilla, lime juice, lime zest to combine.
- Add flour, baking powder and salt.
- Mix with electric mixer until well blended
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Cool cake and frost with Fresh Lime Frosting.
- For Fresh Lime Frosting
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer. With the mixer on low speed, add the powdered sugar a cup at a time until smooth and creamy. Add lime zest and lime juice. Beat an additional minute until well combined.