This Chocolate Cherry Cake is made with boxed cake mix, cherry pie filling and eggs. Doesn’t get any easier! Based on a Pillsbury Bake Off winner recipe from 1974 this chocolate cake recipe has held the test of time!
CHOCOLATE CHERRY CAKE RECIPE
Ingredients to make Oreo Stuffed Cupcakes and Oreo Buttercream – (see recipe card below for entire directions)
- 1 family size package oreos (25.5 ounce)
- sour cream
- baking powder and baking soda
- confectioners sugar
Simply mix the cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract (optional). Pour into a 9 x 13 baking dish that has been sprayed with non stick spray and bake following the recipe card below.
While the cake is baking make your Easy Microwave Ganache Frosting!
Put the ganache in the fridge while the cake is cooling. Stirring occasionally until the slightly thick.
Pour over the cooled cake.
Variations Tips and Tricks to make this chocolate cherry cake:
- Sprinkle chopped pecans, coconut or chopped maraschino cherries on top of the frosting.
- Cheat and use store bought chocolate frosting – nobody is judging here! Ganache is a hundred times better but sometimes you gotta cut corners!
- Make cupcakes! This recipe will make 24 standard size cupcakes. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Cool and frost.
More cake recipes! Here are a few of our most popular –
- Cinnamon Roll Cake
- Banana Foster Upside Down Cake
- Chocolate Mousse Cake – 3 ingredients!
- Chocolate Peanut Butter Cake
Kathi and Rachel
Chocolate Cherry Cake
- 1 box Devils Food Cake Mix
- 1 21 ounce can cherry pie filling
- 3 large eggs – slightly beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract – optional
- 1 recipe Easy Chocolate Ganache – (in the microwave)
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Spray a 9 x 13 baking pan with non stick spray.
- In large bowl combine cake mix, cherry pie filling, eggs and almond extract (if using). Gently mix by hand with a spatula until combined.
- Pour into prepared 9 x 13 pan and bake for about 25 minutes. Cake is done when a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- While the cake is cooking, prepare your 2 ingredient Easy Chocolate Ganache
- When cake is cooled top with ganache. Allow ganache to firm up before cutting. About 20 minutes, you can put in the refridgerator to speed up the process.
- Store cake at room temperature or in refridgerator for up to 4 days.